Cell Culture References

John D. Valentich shark at sam.neosoft.com
Fri Feb 10 20:18:03 EST 1995

In article <199502091753.JAA12185 at net.bio.net> U15767 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU (jbt) writes:
>From: U15767 at UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU (jbt)
>Subject: Re: Cell Culture References
>Date: 9 Feb 1995 09:54:09 -0800

>On 8 Feb 1995 23:18:12 -0800 you said:
>>Hi!
>>  I'm experienced in whole organ physiology.  However, I am preparing to
>>begin some experiments utilizing cell culture methods.  Any suggestions
>>on practical texts or references for getting started and which include
>>the listings of the commonly used cell lines?
>>
>>Thanx!  krw at sfsu.edu
>>
>Try "Culture of Animal Cells:  A Manual of Basic Technique"  by R. Ian Freshney
>It's a good general reference.  Good luck.

Freshney is an excellen basic source, but the net could be more
informative if we knew what you wanted to do with cultured cells.  From your
backgound, I'd guess you needed some type of specialized cell.  There are a
lot of specialized cell lines available, some well known and some not.
Choosing the correct cell line, or even a particular subclone, may mean
success or a great deal of wasted time.  Please inform us!