anti-HA antibodies

niman at vms.cis.pitt.edu niman at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Fri Feb 10 19:27:32 EST 1995

In article <3hb70h$djn at charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, tchang at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Tien-Hsien Chang) writes:
>  We have been waiting for Berkeley Antibody Co. to deliver rabbit anti-HA
> antibodies for the past 2 months.  The most recent information we got is that
> we still have to wait for them to complete their assessment of the new batch.
> We are aware of BMB is selling mouse anti-HA monoclonal.  However the price is
> exceedingly expensive.  One gets 200 micrograms for more than $200.  And the
> recommended conc. for Western is 10 micrograms per ml.
>
>      Is there a noncommercial source (in academics) where we (and most likely
> many others) can obtain anti-HA monoclonal antibodies (mouse or rabbit)?  We
> are interested in using these for immunolocalization studies for HA-tagged
> proteins in yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
>
>      We would appreciate that someone can provide useful suggestions an/or
> protocols regarding using anti-HA antibodies for this purpose in yeast.  I
> heard that anti-HA recognizes some related proteins in yeast cells.  Is there a
> way to get rid of these signals (we know of preadsorption by yeast powder may
> help)?  Pointers to references of using this approach in yeast are greatly
> appreciated.
>

>                               Tien-Hsien Chang
>                               Assistant Professor
>                               Department of Molecular Genetics
>                               The Ohio State University
>                               484 West 12th Ave.
>                               Columbus, OH 43210
>
>                               (614)-292-0631 (phone)
>                               (614)-292-4466 (fax)

>                               chang.108 at osu.edu

Tien, I,m not sure how easy it would be for me to supply the antibody (I have
the cells in the freezer, but there may be commercial complications).  At least
I can give you a list of references.  All of the references use the monoclonals
I described in the 1993 PNAS paper.  However, the vast majority use the one used
in epitope addition experiments.  The list hasn't been updated for a year, but
I'm
sure many of the references will give details for any question or problem you
have.  I would be happy to update or modify the list.  I you or any one else out
there has a paper not on the list, please let me know.  If anyone has a paper on
the list that doesn't belong. let me know and I will remove it.
Here are the 225 references I have handy:

                    FLU HYBRIDOMA REFERENCES

 1.  Abovich, N, P LeGrain, and M Rosbash. (1990) The yeast PRP6
     gene encodes a U4/U6 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle
     (snRNP) protein, and the PRP9 gene encodes a protein required
     for U2 snrnp binding.  Mol. Cell. Biol.  10, 6417-6425.

 2.  Altschuler, D and EG Lapetina. (1993) Mutational analysis of
     the cAMP-dependent protein kinase-mediated phosphorylation
     site on Rap1b. J. Biol. Chem. 268, 7527-7531.

 3.  Antebi, A and GR Fink. (1992) The yeast Ca2+-ATPase homologue,
     PMR1, is required for normal golgi function and localizes in
     a novel golgi-like distribution. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 633-654.

 4.  Appel, JR, C Pinilla, H Niman, and R Houghten. (1990)
     Elucidation of discontinuous linear determinants in peptides.
     J. Immunol. 144, 976-983.

 5.  Apt, D, T Chong, Y Liu, and H-U Bernard. (1993) Nuclear factor
     I and epithelial cell-specific transcription of human
     papillomavirus type 16. J. Virol. 67, 4455-4463.

 6.  Attar, RM and MZ Gilman. (1992) Expression cloning of a novel
     zinc finger protein that binds to the c-fos serum response
     element. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 2432-2443.

 7.  Baltensperger, K, LM Kozma, AD Cherniack, JK Klarlund, A
     Chawla, U Banerjee, and MP Czech. (1993) Binding of the Ras
     activator Son of Sevenless to Insulin receptor substrate-1
     signaling complexes. Science 260, 1950-1952.

 8.  Barbas III, CF, JD Bain, DM Hoekstra, and RA Lerner. (1992)
     Semisynthetic combinatorial antibody libraries: A chemical
     solution to the diversity problem. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
     89, 4457-4461.

 9.  Barbas III, CF, JE Crowe, Jr., D Cababa, TM Jones, SL Zebedee,
     BR Murphy, RM Chanock, and DR Burton. (1992) Human monoclonal
     Fab fragments derived from a combinatorial library bind to
     respiratory syncytial virus F glycoprotein and neutralize
     infectivity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 10164-10168.

10.  Barbas III, CF, AS Kang, RA Lerner, and SJ Benkovic. (1991)
     Assembly of combinatorial antibody libraries on phage
     surfaces: The gene III site. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88,
     7978-7982.

11.  Barabas III, CF, JS Rosenblum, and RA Lerner. (1993) Direct
     selection of antibodies that coordinate metals from
     semisynthetic combinatorial libraries. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
     USA 90, 6385-6589.

12.  Bartel, B, I Wunning, and A Varshavsky. (1990) The recognition
     component of the N-end rule pathway.  EMBO J. 9, 3179-3189.

13.  Beg, AA, SM Ruben, RI Scheinman, S Haskill, CA Rosen, and AS
     Baldwin, Jr. (1992) IkB interacts with the nuclear
     localization sequences of the subunits of NF-kB: a mechanism
     for cytoplasmic retention. Genes Dev. 6, 1899-1913.

14.  Bennett, MK, JE Garcia-Arraras, LA Elferink, K Peterson, AM
     Fleming, CD Hazuka, and RH Scheller. The syntaxin family of
     vesicular transport receptors. Cell 74, 863-873.

15.  Berlot, C and HR Bourne. (1992) Identification of effector-
     activating residues of Gsa. Cell 68, 911-922.

16.  Billaud, M, KJ Isselbacher, and R Bernards. (1993) A dominant-
     negative mutant of Max that inhibits sequence-specific DNA
     binding by Myc proteins. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 2739-
     2743.

17.  Boschelli, F. (1993) Expression of p60v-src in Saccaromyces
     cerevisiae results in elevated expression of p34CDC28 kinase
     activity and release of the dependence of DNA replication on
     mitosis. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 5112-5121.

18.  Booher, RN, RJ Deshaies, and MW Kirschner. (1993) Properties
     of Saccaromyces cerevisiae wee1 and its differential
     regulation of p34cdc28 in response to G1 and G2 cyclins. EMBO J.
     12, 3417-3426.

19.  Bours, V, PR Burd, K Brown, J Villalobos, S Park, R-F Ryseck,
     R Bravo, K Kelly, and U Siebenlist. (1992) A novel mitogen-
     inducible gene product related to p50/p105-NF-kB participates
     in transactivation through a kB site.  Mol. Cell. Biol. 12,
     685-695.

20.  Brigati, C, S Kurtz, D Balderes, G Vidali, and D Shore. (1993)
     An essential yeast gene encoding a TTAGGG repeat-binding
     protein. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 1306-1314.

21.  Brondy, WH, CJ McKiernan, ES Burstein, and IG Macara. (1993)
     Mutants of Rab3A analogous to oncogenic Ras mutants. J. Biol.
     Chem. 268, 9410-9415.

22.  Burton DR, CF Barbas III, MA Persson, S Koenig, RM Chanock,
     and RA Lerner. (1991) A large array of human monoclonal
     antibodies against the surface glycoprotein gp120 of type 1
     human immunodeficiency virus from combinatorial libraries of
     asymptomatic seropositive individuals. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
     USA 88, 10134-10137.

23.  Caldecott, KW, CK McKeown, JD Tucker, S Ljungquist, and LH
     Thompson. (1994) An interaction between mammalian DNA repair
     protein XRCC1 and DNA ligase III. Mol. Cel. Biol. 14, 68-76.

24.  Caligiuri, M and D Beach. (1993) Sct1 functions in partnership
     with cdc10 in a transcription complex that activates cell
     cycle START and inhibits differentiation.  Cell 72, 607-619.

25.  Chan, AC, M Iwashima, CW Turck, and A Weiss. (1992) ZAP-70: A
     70 kd protein-tyrosine kinase that associates with the TCR
     zeta chain. Cell 71, 649-662.

26.  Chen, Y-CJ, T Danon, L Sastry, M Mubaraki, KD Janda, and RA
     Lerner. (1993) Catalytic antibodies from combinatorial
     libraries. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 115, 357-358.

27.  Chen, Y-T, C Holcomb, and H-PH Moore. (1993) Expression and
     localization of two low molecular weight GTP-binding proteins,
     Rab8 and Rab10, by epitope tagging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
     6508-6512.

28.  Cheung, SC, B Dietzschold, H Koprowski, AL Notkins, and RF
     Rando. (1992) A recombinant human Fab expressed in Escherichia
     coli neutralizes rabies virus. J. Virol. 66, 6714-6720.

29.  Chong, KL, L Feng, K Schappert, E Meurs, TF Donahue, JD
     Friesen, AG Hovanessian, and BRG Williams. (1992) Human p68
     kinase exhibits growth suppression in yeast and homology to
     the translation regulator GCN2. EMBO J. 11, 1553-1562.

30.  Cigan, AM, JL Bushman, TR Boal, and AG Hinnebusch. (1993) A
     protein complex of translational regulators of GCN4 m RNA is
     the guanine nucleotide-exchange factor for translation
     initiation factor 2 in yeast. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90,
     5350-5354.

31.  Coleman. TA, C Kunsch, M Maher, SM Ruben, and CA Rosen. (1993)
     Acquisition of NFKB1-selective DNA binding by substitution of
     four amino acid residues from NFKB1 into RelA. Mol. Cell.
     Biol. 13, 3850-3859.

32.  Colgan, J and JL Manley. (1992) TFIID can be rate limiting in
     vivo for TATA-containing, but not TATA-lacking, RNA polymerase
     II promoters.  Genes Dev. 6, 304-315.

33.  Colgan, J, S Wampler, and JL Manley. (1993) Interaction
     between a transcriptional activator and transcription factor
     IIB in vivo. Nature 362, 549-553.

34.  Colicelli, J, J Field, R Ballester, N Chester, D Young, and M
     Wigler.  (1990)  Mutational mapping of RAS-responsive domains
     of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae  adenylyl cyclase.    Mol.
     Cell. Biol. 10, 2539-2543.

35.  Collart, MA and K Struhl. (1993) CDC39, an essential nuclear
     protein that negatively regulates transcription and
     differentially affects the constitutive and inducible HIS3
     promoters. EMBO J. 12, 177-186.

36.  Connell-Crowley, L, MJ Solomon, N Wei, and JW Harper. (1993)
     Phosphorylation independent activation of human cyclin-
     dependent kinase 2 by cyclin A in vitro. Mol. Biol. Cell 4,
     79-92.

37.  Conklin, DS, JA McMaster, MR Culbertson, and C Kung. (1992)
     COT1, a gene involved in cobalt accumulation in Saccharomyces
     cerevisiae. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 3678-3688.

38.  Cormack, BP, M Strubin, AS Ponticelli, and K Struhl. (1991)
     Functional differences between yeast and human TFIID are
     localized to the highly conserved region.  Cell 65, 341-348.

39.  Cross, FR and CM Blake. (1993) The yeast Cln3 protein is an
     unstable activator of Cdc28. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 3266-3271.

40.  Davis, LI and GR Fink. (1990) The NUP1 gene encodes an
     essential component of the yeast nuclear pore complex.  Cell
     61, 965-978.

41.  Derijard, B, M Hibi, I-H Wu, T Barrett, B Su, T Deng, M Karin,
     and RJ Davis, (1994) JNK1: A protein kinase stimulated by UV
     light and Ha-Ras that binds and phosphorylates the c-Jun
     activation domain. Cell 76, 1025-1037.

42.  Desai, D, Y Gu, and DO Morgan. (1992) Activation of human
     cyclin-dependent kinases in vitro. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 571-582.

43.  Deshmukh, M, Y-F Tsay, AG Paulovich, and JL Woolford, Jr.
     (1993) Yeast ribosomal protein L1 is required for the
     stability of newly synthesized 5S rRNA and the assembly of 60S
     ribosomal subunits. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 2835-2845.

44.  Dohmen, RJ, K Madura, B Bartel, and A Varshavsky. (1991) The
     N-end rule is mediated by the UBC2(RAD6) ubiquitin-conjugating
     enzyme.  Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 7351-7355.

45.  Doheny, KF, PK Sorger, AA Hyman, S Tugendreich, F Spencer, and
     P Hieter. (1993) Identification of essential components of the
     S. cerevisiae kinetochore. Cell 73, 761-774.

46.  Dou, D, JB Owolabi, S Dey, and BP Rosen. (1992) Construction
     of a chimeric arsA-arsB protein for overexpression of
     oxyanion-translocating ATPase. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 25768-
     25775.

47.  Duchosal, MA, SA Eming, P Fischer, D Leturcq, CF Barbas III,
     PJ McConahey, RH Caothien, GB Thorton, FJ Dixon, and DR
     Burton. (1991) Immunization of hu-PBL-SCID mice and the rescue
     of human monoclonal Fab fragments through combinatorial
     libraries. Nature 355, 258-262.

48.  Dunphy, WG and A Kumagai. (1991) The cdc25 protein contains an
     intrinsic phosphatase activity. Cell 67, 189-196.

49.  Egan, SE, BW Giddings, MW Brooks, L Buday, AM Sizeland, and RA
     Weinberg. (1993) Association of the SoS Ras exchange protein
     with Grb2 is implicated in tyrosine kinase signal transduction
     and transformation. Nature 363, 45-51.

50.  Eisenmann, DM, KM Arndt, SL Ricupero, JW Rooney, and F
     Winston. (1992) SPT3 interacts with TFIID to allow normal
     transcription in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genes Dev. 6, 1319-
     1331.

51.  Elion, E, B Satterberg, and JE Kranz. (1993) FUS3
     phosphorylates multiple components of the mating signal
     transduction cascade: Evidence for STE12 and FAR1. Mol. Biol.
     Cell 4, 495-510.

52.  Elledge, SJ, R Richman, FL Hall, RT Williams, N Lodgson, and
     JW Harper. (1992) CDK2 encodes a 33-kDa cyclin A-associated
     protein kinase and is expressed before CDC2 in the cell cycle.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 2907-2911.

53.  Fan, C-M and T Maniatis. (1991) Generation of p50 subunit of
     NF-kB by processing of p105 through an ATP-dependent pathway.
     Nature 354, 395-398.

54.  Field, J, J-I Nikawa, D Broek, B MacDonald, L Rodgers, IA
     Wilson, RA Lerner and M Wigler. (1988) Purification of a RAS
     responsive adenylyl cyclase complex from Saccharomyces
     cerevisiae by use of an epitope addition method.  Mol. Cell.
     Biol. 8, 2159-2165.

55.  Field, J, A Vojtek, R Ballester, G Bolger, J Colicelli, K
     Ferguson, J Gerst, T Kataoka, T Michaeli, S Powers, M Riggs,
     L Rodgers, I Wieland, B Wheland, and M Wigler.  (1990) Cloning
     and characterization of CAP, the S. cerevisiae gene encoding
     the 70 kd adenylyl cyclase-associated protein.  Cell 61, 319-
     327.

56.  Field, J, H-P Xu, T Michaeli, R Ballester, P Sass, M Wigler,
     and J Colicelli. (1990) Mutations of the adenylyl cyclase gene
     that block RAS function in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.  Science
     247, 464-467.

57.  Finegold, AA, WR Schafer, J Rine, M Whiteway, and F Tamanoi.
     (1990) Common modifications  of trimeric G proteins and ras
     protein: Involvement of polyisoprenylation.  Science 249, 165-
     169.

58.  Fu, X-Y and J-J Zhang. (1993) Transcription factor p91
     interacts with epidermal growth factor receptor and mediates
     activation of the c-fos gene promoter. Cell 74, 1135-1145.

59.  Furkawa, K and Y Hotta. (1993) cDNA cloning of a germ cell
     specific lamin B3 from mouse spermatocytes and analysis of its
     function by ectopic expression in somatic cells. EMBO J. 12,
     97-106.

60.  Gautier, J, MJ Solomon, RN Booher, JF Bazan, and MW Kirschner.
     (1991) cdc25 is a specific tyrosine phosphatase that directly
     activates p34cdc2.  Cell 67, 197-211.

61.  Gibbs, RA, BA Posner, DR Filpula, SW Dodd, MAJ Finkelman, TK
     Yee, M Wroble, M Wroble, and SJ Benkovic. (1991) Construction
     and characterization of a single-chain catalytic antibody.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 4001-4004.

62.  Giese, K and R Grosschedl. (1993) LEF-1 contains an activation
     domain that stimulates transcription only in a specific
     context of factor-binding sites. EMBO J. 12, 4667-4676.

63.  Gimeno, CJ and GR Fink. (1994) Induction of pseudohyphal
     growth by overexpression of PHD1, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae
     gene related to transcriptional regulators of fungal
     development. Mol. Cel. Biol. 14, 2100-2112.

64.  Goldstein, DJ, R Kulke, D Dimaio, and R Schlegel. (1992) A
     glutamine residue in the membrane-associating domain of the
     bovine papillomavirus type 1 E5 oncoprotein mediates its
     binding to a transmembrane component of the vacuolar H+-
     ATPase. J. Virol. 66, 405-413.

65.  Goldstein, DJ and R Schlegel. (1990) The E5 oncoprotein of
     bovine papillomavirus binds to a 16 kd cellular protein.  EMBO
     J. 9, 137-146.

66.  Goldstein, DJ, R Toyama, R Dhar, and R Schlegel. (1992) The
     BPV-1 E5 oncoprotein expressed in Schizosaccharamyces pombe
     exhibits normal biochemical properties and binds to endogenous
     16-kDa component of the vacuolar proton-ATPase. Virol. 190,
     889-893.

67.  Gram, H, L-A Marconi, CF Barbas III, TA Collet, RA Lerner, and
     AS Kang. (1992) In vitro selection and affinity maturation of
     antibodies from a naive combinatorial immunoglobulin library.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 3576-3580.

68.  Grove, JR, DJ Price, P Banerjee, A Balasubramanyam, MF Ahmad,
     and J Avruch. (1993) Regulation of an epitope-tagged
     recombinant Rsk-1 S6 kinase by phorbol ester and erk/MAP
     kinase. Biochem. 32, 7727-7738.

69.  Grueneberg, DA, S Natesan, C Alexandre, and MZ Gilman. (1992)
     Human and Drosophila homeodomain proteins that enhance the
     DNA-binding activity of serum response factor. Science 257,
     1089-1095.

70.  Gu, Y, P Camacho, P Gardner, and ZW Hall (1991) Identification
     of two amino acid residues in the E Subunit that promote
     mammalian muscle acetylcholine receptor assembly in COS cells.
     Neuron 6, 879-887.

71.  Gu, Z, RP Moerschell, F Sherman, and DS Goldfarb. (1992) NIP1,
     a gene required for nuclear transport in yeast. Proc. Natl.
     Acad. Sci. USA 89, 10355-10359.

72.  Gutmann, DH, M Boguski, D. Marchuk, M Wigler, FS Collins, and
     R Ballester. (1993) Analysis of the neurofibromatosis type 1
     (NF1) GAP-related domain by site-directed mutagenesis.
     Oncogene 8, 761-769.

73.  Hamel, PA, R Montgomery, RA Phillips, and BL Gallie. (1992)
     Regions controlling hyperphosphorylation and conformation of
     the retinoblastoma gene product are independent of domains
     required for transcriptional repression. Oncogene 7, 693-701.

74.  Hartmann, G, L Naldini, KM Weidner, M Sachs, E Vigna, PM
     Comoglio, and W Birchmeier. (1992) A functional domain in the
     heavy chain of scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor binds
     the c-Met receptor and induces cell dissociation but not
     mitogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 11574-11578.

75.  Hateboer, G, HTM Timmers, AK Rustgi, M Billaud, LJ Van't Veer,
     and R Bernards. (1993) TATA-binding protein and the
     retinoblastoma gene product bind to the overlapping epitopes
     on c-Myc and adenovirus E1A protein. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA
     90, 8489-8493.

76.  Heald, R, M Mc Loughlin, and F McKeon. (1993) Human wee1
     maintains mitotic timing by protecting the nucleus from
     cytoplasmically activated cdc2 kinase. Cell 74, 463-474.

77.  Helin, K, C-L Wu, AR Fattaey, JA Lees, BD Dynlacht, C Ngwu,
     and E Harlow. (1993) Heterodimerization of the transcription
     factors E2F-1 and DP-1 leads to cooperative trans-activation.
     Genes Dev. 7, 1850-1861.

78.  Hochstrasser, M, MJ Ellison, V Chau, and A Varshavsky. (1991)
     The short-lived MATa2 transcriptional regulator is
     ubiquitinated in vivo.  Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 4606-
     4610.

79.  Houghten, RA. (1985) General method for the rapid solid-phase
     synthesis of large numbers of peptides: Specificity of
     antigen-antibody interaction at the level of individual amino
     acids. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82, 5131-5135.

80.  Houghten, RA. (1987) Facile determination of exact amino acid
     involvement in peptide antigen-monoclonal antibody
     interactions. in Vaccines 87 - Modern approaches to new
     vaccines: Prevention of AIDS and other viral, bacterial, and
     parasitic disease. (RM Chanock, RA Lerner, F Brown, and H
     Ginsberg, eds.) Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring
     Harbor, NY. 1-6.

81.  Houghten, RA, SR Hoffman, and HL Niman. (1986) Relative
     importance of position and individual amino acid residues in
     peptide antigen-antibody interactions:  Implications in the
     mechanism of antigenic "drift" and antigenic shift in Vaccines
     '86 -  New Approach To Immunization. (F Brown,  RM Chanock,
     and RA Lerner, eds.), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold
     Spring Harbor, NY. 21-25.

82.  Houghten, RA, C Pinilla, SE Blondelle, JR Appel, CT Dooley,
     and JH Cuervo (1991) Generation and use of synthetic peptide
     combinatorial libraries for basic research and drug discovery.
     Nature 354, 84-86.

83.  Hoyt, MA, L He, K Khee Loo, and WS Saunders. (1992) Two
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae kinesin-related gene products
     required for mitotic spindle assembly.  J. Cell Biol. 118,
     109-120.

84.  Hsu, VW, N Shah, and RD Klausner. (1992) A brefeldin A-like
     phenotype is induced by the overexpression of a human ERD-2
     like protein, ELP-1. Cell 69, 625-635.

85.  Hu, P and J Schlessinger. (1994) Direct association of
     p110beta phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase with p85 is mediated by
     an N-terminal fragment of p110beta. Mol Cel. Biol. 14, 2577-
     2583.

86.  Huse, W. (1991) Construction of combinatorial antibody
     expression libraries in Escherichia coli. Ciba Found. Symp.
     159. 91-98.

87.  Huse, WD, L Sastry, SA Iverson, AS Kang, M Alting-Mees, DR
     Burton, SJ Benkovic and RA Lerner. (1989) Generation of a
     large combinatorial library of the immunoglobulin repertoire
     in phage lambda.  Science 246, 1275-1281.

88.  Ichikawa, Y, G-J Shen, and C-H Wong. (1991) Enzyme-catalyzed
     synthesis of sialyl oligosaccharide with in situ regeneration
     of CMP-sialic acid. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 113, 4698-4700.

89.  Iverson, SL, L Sastry, WD Huse, JA Sorge, SJ Benkovic, and RA
     Lerner. A combinatorial system for cloning and expressing the
     catalytic antibody repertoire in Escherichia coli. (1991) Cold
     Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 54, 273-281.

90.  Johnson, ES, B Bartel, W Seufert, and A Varshavsky. (1992)
     Ubiquitin as a degradation signal. EMBO J. 11, 497-505.

91.  Johnson, KA and JL Rosenbaum. (1992) Polarity of flagellar
     assembly in Chlamydomonas. J. Cell Biol. 119, 1605-1611.

92.  Kang, AS, CF Barbas, KM Janda, SJ Benkovic, and RA Lerner.
     (1991) Linkage of recognition and replication functions by
     assembling combinatorial antibody Fab libraries along phage
     surfaces. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 4363-4366.

93.  Kang, AS, TM Jones, and DR Burton. (1991) Antibody redesign by
     chain shuffling from random combinatorial immunoglobulin
     libraries. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 11120-11123.

94.  Kassenbrock, CK, W Cao, and MG Douglas. (1993) Genetic and
     biochemical characterization of ISP6, a small mitochondrial
     outer membrane protein associated with the protein
     translocation complex. EMBO J. 12, 3023-3034.

95.  Kao, CC and P Alquist. (1992) Identification of the domains
     required for direct interaction of the helicase-like and
     polymerase-like RNA replication proteins of brome mosaic
     virus. J. Virol. 66, 7293-7302.

96.  Kawamukai, M, J Gerst, J Field, M Riggs, L Rodgers, M Wigler,
     and D Young. (1992) Genetic and biochemical analysis of the
     adenylyl cyclase-associated protein, cap, in
     Schizosaccaromyces pombe. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 167-180.

97.  Kemble DW, DL Bodian, J Rose, IA Wilson, and JM White. (1992)
     Intermonomer disulfide bonds impair the fusion activity of
     influenza hemagglutinin. J. Virol. 66, 4940-4950.

98.  Kimura, H. (1993) Schwannoma-derived growth factor must be
     transported into the nucleus to exert its mitogenic activity.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 2165-2169.

99.  Keefer, JR and LE Limbird. (1993) The alpha2A-adrenergic
     receptor is targeted directly to the basolateral membrane
     domain of Madin-Darby canine kidney cells independent of
     coupling to pertussis toxin-sensitive GTP-binding proteins. J.
     Biol. Chem. 268, 11340-11347.

100. Klippel, A, JA Escobedo, and LT Williams. (1994) The
     interaction of small domains between the subunits of
     phosphatidylinosital 3-kinase determines enzyme activity. Mol.
     Cel. Biol, 14, 2675-2685.

101. Koleske, AJ, S Buratowski, M Nonet, and RA Young. (1992) A
     novel transcription factor reveals a functional link between
     the RNA polymerase II CTD and TFIID. Cell 69, 883-894.

102. Kolodziej, PA and RA Young. (1989) RNA polymerase II subunit
     RPB3 is an essential component of the MRNA transcription
     apparatus. Mol. Cell. Biol. 9, 5387-5394.

103. Kolodziej, PA and RA Young.(1991) Epitope tagging and protein
     surveillance. Meth. Enz. 194, 508-519.

104. Kolodziej, PA and RA Young.  (1991)  Mutations in the three
     largest subunits of yeast RNA polymerase II that affect enzyme
     assembly.  Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 4669-4678.

105. Kolodziej, PA, N Woychik, S-M Liao, and RA Young. (1990) RNA
     polymerase II subunit composition, stoichiometry, and
     phosphorylation.  Mol. Cell. Biol. 10, 1915-1920.

106. Koralnik, IJ, J Fullen, and G Franchini. (1993) The p12I,
     p13II, and p30II proteins encoded by human T-cell
     leukemia/lymphotrophic virus type I open reading frames I and
     II are localized in three different cellular compartments. J.
     Virol. 67, 2360-2366.
107. Koralnik, IJ, A Gessain, ME Klotman, AL Monico, ZN Berneman,
     and G Franchini. (1992) Protein isoforms encoded by the pX
     region of human T-cell leukemia/lymphotropic virus type I.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 8813-8817.

108. Krishna, S, P Benaroch, and S Pillai. (1992) Tetrameric cell-
     surface MHC class I molecules. Nature 357, 164-167.

109. Kumagai, A and WG Dunphy. (1992) Regulation of the cdc25
     protein during the cell cycle in Xenopus extracts. Cell 70,
     139-151.

110. Lai, C-C, M Boguski, D Broek, and S Powers. (1993) Influence
     of guanine nucleotides on complex formation between ras and
     CDC25 proteins. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 1345-1352.

111. Lee, WS, CC Kao, GO Bryand, X Liu, and AJ Berk. (1991)
     Adenovirus E1A activation domain binds the basic repeat in the
     TATA box transcription factor.  Cell 67, 365-376.

112. Lejbkowiicz, F, C Goyer, A Darveau, S Neron, R Lemieuz, and N
     Sonenberg. (1992) A fraction of the mRNA 5' cap-binding
     protein, eukaryotic initiation factor 4E, localizes to the
     nucleus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 9612-9616.

113. Levis, MJ and HR Bourne. (1992) Activation of the alpha
     subunit of Gs in intact cells alters its abundance, rate of
     degradation, and membrane avidity. J. Cell Biol. 119, 1297-
     1307.

114. Lefebvre, O,C Carles, C Conesa, RN Swanson, F Bouet, M Riva,
     and A Sentenac (1992) TFC3: Gene encoding the B-block binding
     subunit of the yeast transcription factor IIIC. Proc. Natl.
     Acad. Sci. USA 89, 10512-10516.

115. Liggett, SB, NJ Freedman, DA Schwinn, and RJ Lefkowitz. (1993)
     Structural basis for receptor subtype-specific regulation
     revealed by a chimeric beta3/beta2-adrenergic receptor. Proc.
     Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 3665-3669.

116. Liu, JL-C, G-J Shen, Y Ichikawa, JF Rutan, G Zapata, WF Vann,
     and C-H Wong. (1992) Overproduction of CMP-sialic acid
     synthetase for organic synthesis. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 114, 3901-
     3910.

117. Ljungdahl, PO, CJ Gimeno, CA Styles, and GR Fink. (1992) SHR3:
     A novel component of the secretory pathway specifically
     required for localization of amino acid permeases in yeast.
     Cell 71, 463-478.

118. Lobo, SM, J Lister, ML Sullivan, and N Hernandez. (1991) The
     cloned RNA polymerase II transcription factor IID selects RNA
     polymerase III to transcribe the human U6 gene in vitro. Genes
     Dev. 5, 1477-1489.

119. Lobo,SM, M Tanaka, ML Sullivan, and N Hernandez. (1992) A TBP
     complex essential for transcription from TATA-less but not
     TATA-containing RNA polymerase III promoters is part of the
     TFIIIB fraction. Cell 71, 1029-1040.

120. Lopez-Casillas, F, JL Wrana, and J Massague. (1993) Betaglycan
     presents ligand to the TGF-Beta signal receptor. Cell 73,
     1435-1444.

121. Luke, MM, A Sutton, and KT Arndt. (1991) Characterization of
     SIS1, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae homologue of bacterial dnaJ
     proteins.  J. Cell Biol. 114, 623-638.

122. Madura, K, RJ Dohmen, and A Varshavsky. (1993) N-recognin/ubc2
     interactions in the N-end rule pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 268,
     12046-12054.

123. Malone, EA, JS Fassler, and F Winston. (1993) Molecular and
     genetic characterization of STP4, a gene important for
     transcription initiation in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol.
     Gen. Genet. 237, 449-459.

124. Manak, JR and R Prywes. (1993) Phosphorylation of serum
     response factor by casein kinase II: evidence against a role
     in growth factor regulation of fos expression. Oncogene 8,
     703-711.

125. Mao, S-Y, G Alber, J Rivera, J Kochan, and H Metzger. (1992)
     Interaction of aggregated native and mutant IgE receptors with
     the cellular skeleton. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 222-226.

126. Mathias, SL, AF Scott, HH Kazazian, Jr, JD Boeke, and A
     Gabriel. (1991) Reverse transcriptase encoded by a human
     transposable element. Science 254, 1808-1810.

127. May, WA, ML Gishizky, SL Lessnick, LB Lunsford, BC Lewis, O
     Delattre, J Zucman, G Thomas, and CT Denny. Ewing sarcoma
     11;22 translocation produces a chimeric transcription factor
     that requires DNA-binding domain encoded by FLI1 for
     transformation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 5752-5756.

128. Mayer, BJ, PK Jackson, RA van Etten, and D Baltimore. (1992)
     Point mutations in the abl SH2 domain coordinately impair
     phosphotyrosine binding in vitro and transforming activity in
     vivo. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 609-618.
129. McLinden, JH, VA Ploplis, MJ Fraser, and ED Rosen. (1992)
     Expression of foreign epitopes on recombinant occlusion bodies
     of baculoviruses. Vaccine 10, 231-237.

130. Meloche, S, G Pages, and J Pouyssegur. (1992) Functional
     expression and growth factor activation of an epitope-tagged
     p44 mitogen-activated protein kinase, p44mapk. Mol. Biol. Cell
     3, 63-71.

131. Molz L and D Beach. (1993) Characterization of the fission
     yeast mcs2 cyclin and its associated protein kinase activity.
     EMBO J. 12, 1723-1732.

132. Mukhopadhyay, NK, DJ Price, JM Kyriakis, S Pelech, J Sanghera,
     and J Avruch. (1992) An array of insulin-activated, proline-
     directed serine/threonine protein kinases phosphorylate the
     p70 S6 kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 3325-3335.

133. Mullinax, RL, EA Gross, JR Amberg, BN Hay, HH Hogrefe, MM
     Kubitz, A Greener, M Alting-Mees, D Ardourel, JM Short, JA
     Sorge, and B Shopes. (1990) Identification of human fragment
     clones specific for tetanus toxoid in a bacteriophage lambda
     immunoexpression library. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 8095-
     8099.

134. Narayanan, R, JF Klement, SM Ruben, KA Higgens, and CA Rosen.
     (1992) Identification of a naturally occurring transforming
     variant of the p65 subunit of NF-kB. Science 256, 367-370.

135. Niman, HL, RA Houghten, LE Walker, RA Reisfeld, IA Wilson, JM
     Hogle, and RA Lerner. (1983) Generation of protein-reactive
     antibodies by short peptides is an event of high frequency:
     Implications for the structural basis of immune recognition.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80, 4949-4953.

136. Nolan, GP, T Fujita, K Bhatia, C Huppi, H-C Liou, ML Scott,
     and D Baltimore. (1993) The bcl-3 proto-oncogene encodes a
     nuclear IkB-like molecule that preferentially interacts with
     NF-kB p50 and p52 in a phosphorylation-dependent manner. Mol.
     Cell. Biol. 13, 3557-3566.

137. Neuhold, LA and B. Wold (1993) HLH forced dimers: Tethering
     MyoD to E47 generates a dominant positive myogenic factor
     insulated from negative regulation by Id. Cell 74, 1033-1042.

138. Ohana, B, PA Moore, SM Ruben, CD Southgate, MR Green, and CA
     Rosen. (1993) The type 1 human immunodeficiency virus Tat
     binding protein is a transcriptional activator belonging to an
     additional family of evolutionarily conserved genes. Proc.
     Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 138-142.
     Oltval, Z, CL Millman, and SJ Korsmeyer. (1993) Bcl-2
     heterodimerizes in vivo with a conserved homolog, Bax, that
     accelerates programmed cell death. Cell 74, 609-619.

139. Pages, G, P Lenormand, G L'Alleman, J-C Chambard, S Meloche,
     and J Pouyssegur. (1993) Mitogen-activated protein kinases
     p42mapk and p44mapk are required for fibroblast proliferation.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 8319-8323.

140. Park, E-C, D Finley, and JW Szostak. (1992) A strategy for the
     generation of conditional mutants by protein destabilization.
     Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 1249-1252.

141. Park, E-C and JW Szostak. (1992) ARD1 and NAT1 proteins form
     a complex that has N-terminal acetyltransferase activity. EMBO
     J. 11, 2087-2093.

142. Pati, UK. (1992) Novel vectors for expression of cDNA encoding
     epitope-tagged proteins in mammalian cells. Gene 114, 285-288.

143. Pelletier, J, M Schalling, AJ Buckler, A Rogers, DA Haber, and
     D Housman. (1991) Expression of the Wilms' tumor gene WT1 in
     the murine urogenital system. Genes Dev. 5, 1345-1356.

144. Persson, MAA, RH Coathien, and DR Burton. (1991) Generation of
     diverse high-affinity human monoclonal antibodies by
     repertoire cloning. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 2432-2436.

145. Pines, J and T Hunter. (1991) Human cell division: The
     involvement of cyclins A and B1, and multiple cdc2s. Cold
     Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 56, 449-463.

146. Pinilla, C, JR Appel, P Blanc, and RA Houghten. (1992) Rapid
     identification of high affinity peptide ligands using
     positional scanning synthetic peptide combinatorial libraries.
     BioTech. 13, 901-905.

147. Pinilla, C JR Appel, and RA Houghten. (1993) Functional
     importance of amino acid residues making up peptide antigenic
     determinants. Mol. Imm. 30, 577-585.

148. Peter, M, A Gartner, J Horecka, G Ammerer, and I Herskowitz.
     (1993) FAR1 links the signal transduction pathway to the cell
     cycle machinery in yeast. Cell 73, 747-760.

149. Portolano, S, P Seto, GD Chazenbalk, Y Nagayama, SM McLachlin,
     and B Rapoport. (1991) A human Fab fragment specific for
     thyroid peroxidase generated by cloning thyroid lymphocyte-
     derived immunoglobulin genes in a bacteriophage lambda
     library. Biochem. Biopys. Res. Com. 179, 372-377.
150. Posner, B, I Lee, T Itoh, J Pyati, R Graff, GB Thorton, R La
     Polla, and SJ Benkovic. (1993) A revised strategy for cloning
     antibody gene fragments in bacteria. Gene 128, 111-117.

151. Price, DJ, JR Grove, V Calvo, J Avruch, and BE Bierer. (1992)
     Rapamycin-induced inhibition of the 70-kilodalton S6 protein
     kinase. Science 257, 973-977.

152. Protopopov, V, B Govindan, P Novick, and JE Gerst. (1993)
     Homologues of the synaptobrevin/VAMP family of synaptic
     vesicle proteins function on the late secretory pathway in S.
     cerevisiae. Cell 74, 855-861.

153. Qian, N-X, S Winitz, GL Johnson. (1993) Epitope-tagged Gq
     alpha subunits: Expression of GTPase-deficient alpha subunits
     persistently stimulates phosphatidylinositol-specific
     phospholipase C but not mitogen-activated protein kinase
     activity regulated by the M1 muscarinic acetylcholine
     receptor. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 4077-4081.

154. Qian, Y, C Luckey, L Horton, M Esser, and DJ Templeton. (1992)
     Biological function of the retinoblastoma protein requires
     distinct domains for hyperphosphorylation and transcription
     factor binding. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 5363-5372.

155. Quelle, DE, KJ Lynch, RE Burkert-Smith, S Weiss, W Whitford,
     and DM Wojchowski. (1993) Phosphoralatable and epitope-tagged
     human erythropoietin: Utility and purification of native
     baculovirus derived forms. Prot. Expres. Purif. 3, 461-469.

156. Quinn, TP, KG Peters, C De Vries, N Ferrara, and LT Williams.
     (1993) Fetal liver kinase 1 is a receptor for vascular
     endothelial growth factor and is selectively expressed in
     vascular endothelium. Proc. Ntl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 7533-
     7537.

157. Rini, JM, U Schulze-Gahmen, and IA Wilson. (1992) Structural
     evidence for induced fit as a mechanism for antibody-antigen
     recognition. Science 255, 959-965.

158. Ripmaster, TL, GP Vaughn, and JL Woolford, Jr. (1992) A
     putative ATP-dependent RNA helicase involved in Saccharomyces
     cerevisiae ribosome assembly. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89,
     11131-11135.

159. Roof, DM, PB Meluh, and MD Rose. (1992) Kinesin-related
     proteins required for assembly of the mitotic spindle. J. Cell
     Biol. 118, 95-108.

160. Ruben, SM, JF Klement, TA Coleman, M Maher, C-H Chen, and CA
     Rosen. (1992) I-Rel: a novel rel-related protein that inhibits
     NF-kB transcriptional activity. Genes Dev. 6, 745-760.

161. Ruben, SM, R Narayanan, JF Klement, C-H Chen, and CA Rosen.
     (1992) Functional characterization of the NF-kB p65
     transcriptional activator and an alternatively spliced
     derivative. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 444-454.

162. Ruppert, S, EH Wang, and R Tijan. (1993) Cloning and
     expression of human TAFII250: a TBP-associated factor
     implicated in cell-cycle regulation. Nature 362, 175-179.

163. Ryseck, R-P, P Bull, M Takamiya, V Bours, U Siebenlist, P
     Dobrzanski, and R Bravo. (1992) RelB, a new family
     transcription activator that can interact with p50-NF-kB. Mol.
     Cell. Biol. 12, 674-684.

164. Sadowski, CL, RW Henry, SM Lobo, and N Hernandez. (1993)
     Targeting TBP to a non-TATA box cis-regulatory element: a TBP-
     containing complex activates transcription from snRNA
     promoters through the PSE. Genes Dev. 7, 1535-1548.

165. Sadowski, HB and MZ Gilman. (1993) Cell-free activation of a
     DNA-binding protein by epidermal growth factor. Nature 362,
     79-83.

166. Sastry, L, M Mubaraki, KM Janda, SJ Benkovic, and RA Lerner.
     (1991) Screening combinatorial antibody libraries for
     catalytic acyl transfer reactions. Ciba Found. Symp. 159, 145-
     155.

167. Scherle, P, T Behrens, and LM Staudt. (1993) Ly-GDI, a GDP-
     dissociation inhibitor of the RhoA GTP-bonding protein, is
     expressed preferentially in lymphocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad.
     Sci. USA 90, 7568-7572.

168. Schulze-Gahmen, U, JM Rini, J Arevalo, EA Stura, JH Kenten,
     and IA Wilson. (1988) Preliminary crystallographic data,
     primary sequence, and binding data for an anti-peptide Fab and
     its complex with a synthetic peptide from influenza
     hemagglutinin. J. Biol. Chem. 263, 17100-17105.

169. Scott, ML, T Fujita, H-C Liou, GP Nolan, and D Baltimore.
     (1993) The p65 subunit of NF-kB regulates IkB by two distinct
     mechanisms. Genes Dev. 7, 1266-1276.

170. Schwedler, Uvon, J Song, C Aiken, and D Trono. (1993) vif is
     crucial for human immunodeficiency virus type I proviral DNA
     synthesis in infected cells. J. Virol. 67, 4945-4955.

171. Seo,Y-S, F Muller, M Lusky, and J Hurwitz. (1993) Bovine
     papilloma virus (BPV)-encoded E1 protein contains multiple
     activities required for BPV DNA replication. Proc. Natl Acad
     Sci. USA 90, 702-706.

172. Sheldon. LA and RE Kingston. (1993) Hydrophobic coiled-coil
     domains regulate the subcellular localization of human heat
     shock factor 2. Genes Dev. 7, 1549-1558.

173. Shen, W-C, D Selvakumar, DR Stanford, and AK Hopper. (1993)
     The Saccharomyces cerevisiae LOS1 gene involved in pre-tRNA
     splicing encodes a nuclear protein that behaves as a component
     of the nuclear matrix. J. Biol. Chem. 268, 19436-19444.

174. Sherwood, PW, SV-M Tsang, and MA Osley. (1993)
     Characterization of HIR1 and HIR2, two genes required for
     regulation of histone gene transcription in Saccharomyces
     cerevisiae. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 28-38.

175. Singh, I, RW Doms, KR Wagner, and A Helenius. (1990)
     Intracellular transport of soluble and membrane-bound
     glycoproteins: folding, assembly, and secretion of anchor-free
     influenza hemagglutinin. EMBO J. 9, 631-639.

176. Solomon, MJ, T Lee, and MW Kirschner. (1992) Role of
     phosphorylation in p34cdc2 activation: Identification of an
     activating kinase. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 13-27.

177. Stegmann, T, JM White, and A Helenius. (1990) Intermediates in
     influenza induced membrane fusion. EMBO J. 9, 4231-4241.

178. Stuart, JS, DL Frederick, CM Varner, and K Tatchell. (1994)
     The mutant type 1 protein phosphatase encoded by glc7-1 from
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae fails to interact productively with
     the GAC-1-encoded regulatory subunit. Mol. Cel. Biol. 14, 896-
     905.

179. Sukegawa, J and G Blobel. (1993) A nuclear pore complex
     protein that contains zinc finger motifs, binds DNA,and faces
     the nucleoplasm. Cell 72, 29-38.

180. Sunstrom, N-E, NH Acheson, and JA Hassel. (1991) Determination
     of the origin-specific DNA-binding domain of polyomavirus
     large T antigen. J. Virol. 65, 6998-7003.

181. Sutton, A, D Immanuel, and KT Arndt. (1991) The SIT4 protein
     phosphatase functions in late G1 for progression into S phase.
     Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 2133-2148.

182. Sutton, A, F Lin, MJF Sarabia, and KT Arndt. (1991) The SIT4
     protein phosphatase is required in late G1 for progression
     into S phase. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant. Biol. 56, 75-81.

183. Swanson, MS and F Winston. (1992) STP4, STP5 and STP6
     interactions: Effects on transcription and viability in
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 132, 325-336.

184. Swanson, MS, M Carlson, and F Winston. (1990) SPT6, an
     essential gene that affects transcription in Saccharomyces
     cerevisiae, encodes a nuclear protein with an extremely acidic
     amino terminus. Mol. Cell. Biol. 10, 4935-4941.

185. Tanaka, M and W Herr. (1990) Differential transcriptional
     activation by Oct-1 and Oct-2:  interdependent activation
     domains induce Oct-2 phosphorylation. Cell 60, 375-386.

186. Tanaka, K, BK Lin, DR Wood, and F Tamanoi. (1991) IRA2, an
     upstream negative regulator of RAS in yeast, is a RAS GTPase-
     activating protein.  Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88, 468-472.

187. Tarn, W-Y, K R Lee, and S-C Cheng. (1993) The yeast PRP19
     protein is not tightly associated with small nuclear RNAs, but
     appears to associate with the sliceosome after binding U2 to
     the pre-mRMNA and prior to formation of the functional
     sliceosome. Mol. Cell. Biol. 13, 1883-1891.

188. Templeton DJ. (1992) Nuclear binding of purified
     retinoblastoma gene product is determined by cell cycle-
     regulated phosphorylation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 435-443.

189. Templeton, DJ, SH Park, L Lanier, and RA Weinberg. (1991)
     Nonfunctional mutants of the retinoblastoma protein are
     characterized by defects in phosphorylation, viral oncoprotein
     association, and nuclear tethering. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
     88, 3033-3037.

190. Timmers, HTM, RE Meyers, and PA Sharp. (1992) Composition of
     transcription factor B-TFIID. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89,
     8140-8144.

191. Toyama, R, SM Bende, and R Dhar. (1992) Transcriptional
     activity of the human immunodeficiency virus-1 LTR promoter in
     fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Nuc. Acid Res. 10,
     2591-2596.

192. Tyers, M, I Fitch, G Tokiwa, C Dahmann, R Nash, M Linskens,
     and B Futcher. (1991) Characterization of G1 and mitotic
     cyclins of budding yeast. Cold Spring Harbor Symp. Quant.
     Biol. 56, 21-32.

193. Tyers, M and B Futcher. (1993) Far1 and Fus3 link the mating
     pheromone signal transduction pathway to three G1-phase Cdc28
     kinase complexes. Mol. Cel. Biol. 13, 5659-5669.

194. Tyers, M, G Tokiwa, and B Futcher. (1993) Comparison of the
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae G1 cyclins: Cln3 may be an upstream
     activator of Cln1. Cln2, and other cyclins. EMBO J. 12, 1955-
     1968.

195. Tyers, M, G Tokiwa, R Nash, and B Futcher. (1992) The Cln3-
     Cdc28 kinase complex of S. cerevisiae is regulated by
     proteolysis and phosphorylation. EMBO J. 11, 1772-1784.

196. Ustav, E, M Ustav, P Szymanski, and A Stenlund. (1993) The
     bovine papillomavirus origin of replication requires a binding
     site for the E2 transcriptional activator. Proc. Natl. Acad.
     Sci. USA 90, 898-902.

197. Ustav, M and A Stenlund. (1991) Transient replication of BPV-1
     requires two viral polypeptides encoded by the E1 and E2 open
     reading frames.  EMBO J. 10, 449-457.

198. Wadzinski, BE, BJ Eisfelder, LF Peruski Jr., MC Mumby, and GL
     Johnson. NH2-terminal modification of the phosphatase 2A
     catalytic subunit allows functional expression in mammalian
     cells. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 16883-16888.

199. Wakabayashi, S, P Fafournoux, C Sardet, and J Pouyssegur.
     (1992) The Na+/H+ antiporter cytoplasmic domain mediates growth
     factor signals and controls "H+-sensing". Proc. Natl. Acad.
     Sci. USA 89, 2424-2428.

200. Wang, P-C, A Vancura, TGM Mitcheson, and J Furet. (1992) Two
     genes in Saccharomyces cerevisiae encode a membrane-bound form
     of casein kinase-1. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 275-286.

201. Wang, Y, H-P Xu, M Riggs, L Rodgers, and M Wigler. (1991)
     byr2, a Schizosaccharomyces pombe gene encoding a protein
     kinase capable of partial suppression of the ras 1 mutant
     phenotype. Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 3554-3563.

202. Wrana, JL, H Tran, L Attisano, K Arora, SR Childs, J Massague,
     and MB O'Connor. (1994) Two distinct transmembrane
     serine/threonine kinases from Drosophila melanogaster form an
     activin receptor complex. Mol. Cel. Biol. 14, 944-950.

203. Watkins, JF, P Sung, S Prakash, and L Prakash. (1993) The
     extremely conserved amino terminus of RAD6 ubiquitin-
     conjugating enzyme is essential for amino-end rule-dependent
     protein degradation. Genes Dev. 7, 250-261.
204. Wei, W, RD Mosteller, P Sanyal, E Gonzales, D McKinney, C
     Dasgupta, P Li, B-X Liu, and D Broek. (1992) Identification of
     a mammalian gene structurally and functionally related to the
     CDC25 gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
     USA 89, 7100-7104.

205. Welch, PJ and JYJ Wang. (1993) A C-terminal protein-binding
     domain in the retinoblastoma protein regulates nuclear c-Able
     tyrosine kinase in the cell cycle. Cell 75, 779-790.

206. Wente, SR, MP Rout, and G. Blobel. (1992) A new family of
     yeast nuclear pore complex proteins. J. Cell Biol. 119,705-
     723.

207. Werness, BA, AJ Levine, and PM Howley.  (1990)  Association of
     human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 E6 proteins with p53.
     Science 248, 76-79.

208. West, AH, DJ Clark, J Martin, W Neuport, F-U Hart, and AL
     Horwich. (1992) Two related genes encoding extremely
     hydrophobic proteins suppress a lethal mutation in the yeast
     mitochondrial processing enhancing protein. J. Biol. Chem.
     267, 24625-24633.

209. White, JM and IA Wilson. (1987) Anti-peptide antibodies detect
     steps in a protein conformational change: low-pH activation in
     the influenza hemagglutinin.  J. Cell Biol. 105, 2887-2896.

210. Williamson, RA, MAA Persson, and DR Burton. (1991) Expression
     of a human monoclonal anti-(rhesus D) Fab fragment in
     Escherichia coli with the use of bacteriophage lambda vectors.
     Biochem. J. 277, 561-563.

211. Wilson, AC, K LaMarco, MG Peterson, W Herr. (1993) The VP16
     accessory protein HCF is a family of polypeptides processed
     from a large precursor protein. Cell 74, 115-125.

212. Wilson, IA, KF Bergmann, and EA Stura. (1986) Structural
     analysis of antipeptide antibodies against influenza
     hemagglutinin.  in Vaccines 86 - New approaches to
     immunization: developing vaccines against parasitic,
     bacterial, and viral disease.  (RA Lerner, RM Chanock,  and F
     Brown, eds.)  Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring
     Harbor, NY, 33-37.

213. Wilson, IA, HL Niman, RA Houghten, AR Cherenson, ML Connolly,
     and RA Lerner. (1984) The structure of an antigenic
     determinant in a protein. Cell 37, 767-778.

214. Wilson, IA, JJ Skehel, and DC Wiley. (1984) Three-dimensional
     structure of a viral antigen: Hemagglutinin glycoprotein of
     influenza virus. in Modern approaches to vaccines: Molecular
     and chemical basis of virus virulence and immunogenicity. (RM
     Chanock and RA Lerner, eds). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory,
     Cold Spring Harbor, NY. 1-6.

215. Wong, C-H, G-J Shen, RL Pederson, Y-F Yang, and WJ Hennen.
     (1991) Enzymatic catalysis in organic synthesis. Meth.
     Enzymol. 202, 591-620.

216. Woychik, NA, S-M Liao, PA Kolodziej, and RA Young. (1990)
     Subunits shared by eukaryotic nuclear RNA polymerases. Genes
     Dev. 4, 315-323.

217. Wozniak, RW and G Blobel. (1992) The single transmembrane
     segment of gp120 is sufficient for entry into the pore
     membrane domain of the nuclear envelope. J. Cell Biol. 119,
     1441-1449.

218. Wrana, JL, L Attisano, J Carcamo, A Zentella, J Doody, M
     Laiho, X-F Wang, J Massague. (1992) TGF beta signals through
     a heteromeric protein kinase receptor complex. Cell 71, 1003-
     1014.

219. Xu, H-P, T Rajavashisth, N Grewal, V Jung, M Riggs, L Rodgers,
     and M Wigler. (1992) A gene encoding a protein with seven zinc
     finger domains acts on the sexual differentiation pathways of
     Schizosaccaromyces pombe. Mol. Biol. Cell 3, 721-734.

220. Xue, D, Y Tu, M Chalfie. (1993) Cooperative interactions
     between the Caenorhabditis elegans homeoproteins UNC-86 and
     MEC-3. Science 261, 1324-1328.

221. Yang, Z and TG Wensel. (1992) Molecular cloning and functional
     expression of cDNA encoding mammalian inorganic
     pyrophosphatase. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 24641-24647.

222. Yoon, H-J, S Loo, and JL Campbell. (1993) Regulation of
     Saccharomyces cerevisiae CDC7 function during the cell cycle.
     Mol. Biol. Cell 4, 195-208.

223. Yu, Q, T. Lendaro, and RA Weinberg. (1992) The N-terminal and
     C-terminal domains of a receptor tyrosine phosphatase are
     associated by non-covalent linkage. Oncogene 7, 1051-1057.

224. Zackenhaus, E, R Bremner, RA Philips, BL Gallie. (1993) A
     bipartite nuclear localization signal in the retinoblastoma
     gene product and its importance for biological activity. Mol.
     Cell. Biol. 13, 4588-4599.

225. Zastrow, M von and BK Kobilka. (1992) Ligand-regulated
     internalization and recycling of human beta2-adrenergic
     receptors between the plasma membrane and endosomes containing
     transferrin receptors. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 3530-3538.

226. Zebedee,SL, CF Barbaras III, Y-L Hom, RH Caothien, R Graff, J
     DeGraw, J Pyati, R LaPolla, DR Burton, RA Lerner, and GB
     Thorton. (1992) Human combinatorial antibody libraries to
     hepatitis B surface antigen. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89,
     3175-3179.

227. Zervos, AS, J Gyuris, and R Brent. (1993) Mxi1, a protein that
     specifically interacts with Max to bind Myc-Max recognition
     sites. Cell 72, 223-232.

228. Zhou, Q, TG Boyer, and AJ Berk. (1993) Factors (TAFs) required
     for activated transcription interact with TATA box-containing
     protein conserved core domain. Genes Dev. 7, 180-187.

229. Zhou, Q, PM Lieberman, TG Boyer, and AJ Berk. (1992) Holo-
     TFIID supports transcriptional stimulation by diverse
     activators and from a TATA-less promoter. Genes Dev. 6, 1964-
     1974.

230. Zhu, L, S van den Heuvel, K Helin, A Fattaey, M Ewen, D
     Livingston. N Dyson, and E Harlow. (1993) Inhibition of cell
     proliferation by p107, a relative of the retinoblastoma
     protein. Genes Dev. 7, 1111-1125.

Henry L. Niman, Ph.D.