BrDU proliferation assay

Dennis Goode GOODE at ZOOL.UMD.EDU
Fri Feb 24 18:07:38 EST 1995

chris at austin.unimelb.edu.au
on 23 Feb 95 17:34:58 wrote:

> Has anyone had experience with the BrDU labelling assay
> for cell proliferation?  I have attempted to use it in
> a manner analagous to the continuous labelling of cells
> with tritiated thymidine.  This a simple method giving
> much information of cell cycle time etc.  However,
> rather than getting a simple increase in labelling over
> time with an eventual plateau when all cells are
> labelled, I obtained a sine curve with two peaks, the
> second less than the first.  I would be glad of any
> explanations (or even half convincing fictions!).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris Bradley

Chris:

We have used the BrdU labelling assay procedure in the continuous
labeling mode in a manner similar to the 3H-TdR continuous labelling
method (Goode et al. J. Cell Biol. 79: 67a). We get first order curves
that plateau at approx the percent of proliferating cells.
If you get steps in your data, that indicates some synchrony of your
cells or a daily or otherwise cyclic peak of entry into S of your
cells. However, theoretically your data should never go down if BrdU
is present continuously. What you may have done is to add BrdU in low
amounts that are incorporated into your cells essentially as a pulse,
leaving no label for further incorporation. Thus the % labeled cells
can go down as unlabeled cells pass thru M and divide, thus diluting
the fraction of labeled cells. The % of labeled cells will then
increase again some time later when the labeled cohort of cells have
gone thru a cycle and divided again, essentially giving you results
with two peaks that look like the Fraction-labeled Mitoses method
after pulse labeling.

In culture with synchronized cells, we see a stairstep pattern, but
usually a smooth function with unsych. cells. We even have students
do this in our undergraduate cell biology labs and they get good
results, so something funny is happening in your system. Is it in
vivo or in culture? In vivo injections of TdR or BrdU are essentially
pulses; to label continuously in vivo, you need something like an
osmotic pump.

I hope these suggestions help.

Dennis Goode            "Study cells, not gels"
Dept of Zoology          Graffiti on mens room wall
Univ. of Maryland        MBL, Woods Hole MA
College Park, MD 20742
(301)405-6935