Introduction of YACs into mamm.cells

Jay D. Hunt III jhunt at lsumc.edu
Thu Jan 12 16:20:30 EST 1995

>Hi Joris,
>we introduce large YACs into murine ES cells by yeast protoplast
>fusion.I have not seen anything published on the introduction
>of YACs by protoplast fusion into human cells.
>The limit for microinjection is currently about
>600kb, and there is only one guy in this world who
>made it. I cannot see any advantage of lipofection
>over protoplast fusion.
>Best wishes,
>Andrei Popov
>
>andrei.popov at bbsrc.ac.uk

I have tried extensively to introduce YACs into human lung cells using
spheroplast fusion and have had no luck whatsoever.  I have, on several
occassions, gotten colonies to grow out for a week or two, but these always
eventually die.  I would also love to get any information about introducing
YACs into human cells.

Jay D. Hunt, III, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Louisiana State University Medical Center
Stanley S. Scott Cancer Center
1901 Perdido St.
New Orleans, LA  70112

jhunt at lsumc.edu
(504) 568-4734
(504) 568-3370 (FAX)

There are three things you don't get over in a hurry...disproving a
beautiful hypothesis, eating bad possum, and eating good possum.