AMes test

Brad Nicholson brad at corona.med.utah.edu
Thu Jan 19 20:56:42 EST 1995

In article <3fmhvn$4ln at post.its.mcw.edu>, skonings at post.its.mcw.edu (Steve
Konings) wrote:

> William B. Melchior, Jr. (wmelchior at fdant.nctr.fda.gov) wrote:
 >: In article <noesis.7.0156607F at cam.org>, noesis at cam.org (Noesis Vision
Inc)
 >: >Does anyone know what the Ames test is used for?
    >Snip<
 >Not sure how the test is/was performed, but it looks at mutation rates,
    >More Snips<

Hello Steve;
As I remember from my toxicology class, the Ames test detects compounds
that are mutagenic.  It uses a strain of Salmonella that is auxotrophic for
Histidine (It can't grow on a minimal media without added histidine.) The
auxotrophy is caused by a point mutation (nonsense or missense).  This
mutation can revert to a phenotypic wild type (histidine prototroph) at
some rate. The idea is that if a chemical, treatment or product is
mutagenic, then the rate of reversion to histidine prototrophy will
increase.
I think that there are several versions of the Ames test out there.
Different strains of Salmonella with different mutant loci.  Different
protocols, I dimly remember hearing of a Rat liver enzyme mix to pre-treat
the chemical in question.  Some nasties aren't mutagenic until they are
metabolized.

Hope this helped, I apologize in advance for any faulty information.

Brad
Brad Nicholson              |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology     |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah          |	Live from behind the Zion Curtian.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132    |
brad at corona.med.utah.edu    |
or: (801)-581-4365          | My opinions are solely my own.