Primary cell cultures

Susan Hubchak hubchak at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Fri Jan 27 20:37:53 EST 1995

In article <JEB.Harrison-2701951735050001 at 130.216.55.60>,
Jane E B Harrison <JEB.Harrison at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>Help!
>
>I am trying to do primary cell cultures of brain cappilary endothelial
>cells (BBB) and aortic endothelial cells (control).  I have methods, but
>need some advice on technical deatils.
>
>Is there anyone out there who is expert in these sorts of cultures and has
>the time to email me as an advisor on these cultures.
>
>If anyone knows of the traps for young players of the standard methods for
>isolating these cells, this young plAyer would like to hear from them
>before I have to find out all the traps by painful experience.
>
>Thanks in advance.  virtual chocolate fish to all respondees.
>
>JAne
>
>--
>Jane E B Harrison                     "Science is like being God-
>Medical School                        only I have time and budget constraints"
>University of Auckland
>'All opinons are MINE and MINE alone'

A friend of mine needs help culturing Mouse brain capillary endothelial
cells--they won't attach and die soon after.  He uses 20% FBS-DME on
plastic.
BTW, what kind of aortic cells?  Bovine?  They are easy to isolate
and culture.  Iwould think there would be plenty of references in
is Journal of Tissue CulTure Methods.  The best way to learn of course
is to watch some one do an isolation (unfortunately).
However, if I could isolate them, anyone can!

Susan Hubchak