What is the chemical makeup of sugar?

R. R. Ronkin rronkin at cpcug.org
Mon Jul 10 15:38:55 EST 1995

In article <mploewen.26.00154392 at unixg.ubc.ca>, mploewen at unixg.ubc.ca wrote:
>I'm having a bet with my brother.  What is the chemical makeup of Sugar?  ie
>Table sugar.

Table sugar has the chemical name sucrose. It is a relatively simple
molecule made of 12 atoms of carbon, 22 of hydrogen, and 11 of oxygen.
The carbon atoms are arranged in two rings, joined at one point through
a connection made of one of the oxygen atoms.

The chemical makeup (including the arrangement of atoms) is important to
humans and forms of life because a lot of energy can be released from
the molecule when it is processed to carbon dioxide and water or, in
some cases, to ethyl alcohol or lactic acid.

Modern high-school textbooks of biology and chemistry provide further
information.