HUM-MOLGEN: COMPUTERS 9/95

Frank S. Zollmann zollmann.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 3 22:30:09 EST 1995

HUM-MOLGEN COMPUTERS TOPIC introduce interesting Internet resources
(see example) and is open for discussions in the field of Computational
Genetics.

Please mail your suggestions for Internet-Highlights to
HUM-MOLGEN at nic.surfnet.nl (Subject: COMP: ...).

To subscribe this free service, send message

        subscribe HUM-MOLGEN first_name last_name
        listserv at nic.surfnet.nl.

Frank S. Zollmann
(Editor HUM-MOLGEN)

****HUM-MOLGEN IS.........
HUM-MOLGEN is a general interest communication-list in Human
(Molecular) Genetics. The purpose of the list is to create a
world-wide communication-forum in Genetics.

****SUBSCRIBERS ARE.......
Subscribers to the list are molecular biologists, geneticists,
clinicians, biology and medical students and other individuals
interested in the field of Human Genetics.

                     HUM-MOLGEN: COMPUTERS 9/95

This COMPUTERS message introduces 3 interesting Internet resources

1) The DICTIONARY of CELL BIOLOGY, published by Academic Press, is available
   free for searching on the WWW.

2) A March 1, 1995 update of The Medical List is now available from
   the Univ. of Michigan Clearinghouse

3) CancerNet last revised:  March 1, 1995. CancerNet is a quick and easy
   way to obtain, through electronic mail, cancer information from the
   National Cancer Institute (NCI)

1) The second edition of The DICTIONARY of CELL BIOLOGY, published by
  Academic Press, is available free at http://130.209.9.190/.
  The server contains 5450 entries and 5772 cross-references.

2) A March 1, 1995 update of The Medical List is now available from
  the Univ. of Michigan Clearinghouse for Subject Oriented Guides
  URL:gopher://una.hh.lib.umich.edu:70/00/inetdirsstacks/medclin:malet

  The Medical List is a database of clinical medicine Internet
  resources. This new and improved version categorizes resources by
  disease and specialty. It subcategorizes the resources as web or
  interactive resources. This new version lists more than 60 new
  entries. The Medical List gives text descriptions of resources,
  spotlights the more developed programs, and gives news and
  backround on Internet medical resource development.

  The Medical List is made available in a Mosaic, hypertext,
  Internet-linked format as "Medical Matrix". Medical Matrix is
  available at the URL:
  http://kuhttp.cc.ukans.edu/cwis/units/medcntr/Lee/HOMEPAGE.HTML

3)  To receive the whole document please send message
         help  <This is the body of the message..>
     to: cancernet at icicb.nci.nih.gov

   // ... // = cut of parts of the message

            |         NATIONAL           INSTITUTE         |
            |                 C A N C E R                  |
            |    INTERNATIONAL           INFORMATION       |
            |                 C E N T E R                  |
                    |  cancernet at icicb.nci.nih.gov  |
                    +-------------------------------+

CancerNet last revised:  March 1, 1995

CancerNet is a quick and easy way to obtain, through electronic mail, cancer
information from the National Cancer Institute (NCI).  CancerNet lets you
request information statements from the NCI's Physician Data Query (PDQ)
database, fact sheets on various cancer topics from the NCI's Office of Cancer
Communications, and citations and abstracts on selected topics from the
CANCERLIT database.  Selected information is also available in Spanish.  You
can access CancerNet through a number of different networks including BITNET
and Internet.  There is no charge for the service unless your local computer
center charges for use of e-mail.  The CancerNet Contents List (included here)
changes at the beginning of each month as new information is included.

CancerNet is an automated system that reads standardized requests and then
returns the requested information via electronic mail.  CancerNet cannot
respond to requests for information that is not found in the system, such as
lists of clinical trials.  If you have trouble using CancerNet, you may call
1-800-624-7890 (within the U.S.) or (301) 496-7600 (if outside the U.S.) or
send a message to cheryl at icicb.nci.nih.gov on the Internet.

                          Instructions

       1.  Address your mail message to:

                        cancernet at icicb.nci.nih.gov

          [If you are not on Internet, you may have to change the format of
           the address.  Consult with your systems manager for the correct
           address format.]

       2.  In the body of the message:

              Enter the CancerNet ID from the Contents List for the desired
              information.  If you need the updated contents list, enter the
              word "help" in the body of the message ("spanish" if you want
              the Spanish contents list).  If you want more than one piece of
              information, enter the code for each piece of information
              on a separate line within the message.

               Your request must be in the BODY of the message, not the
               subject line.  You can type a subject for your message if
               you wish, but CancerNet will not read it.

      Examples:

              To receive the PDQ breast cancer statement for
              health professionals:

                     To: cancernet at icicb.nci.nih.gov
                     Subject:
                     cn-100013  <this is the body of the message..>

      // ... //

       3.  End your message.  If you requested multiple items within a
           single request, each item will be returned to you in a separate
           message.  It usually takes about 10 minutes for you to receive
           your information, although delays in connections across the
           Internet may cause you to receive your request later.

     WARNING:  Individual statements may exceed 100K and some mail systems are
     limited in the size of the mail messages a user can receive.  Please
     check your mail and storage capacity prior to submitting requests.

The information in CancerNet is updated monthly, and many items change from
one month to the next.

// ... //

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN REGULARLY TRANSFERRING AND MAKING INFORMATION FROM
CANCERNET AVAILABLE LOCALLY, PLEASE REQUEST STATEMENT CN-400030.  THE NCI WILL
FACILITATE SUCH ENDEAVORS, BUT CERTAIN CONDITIONS APPLY TO SUCH
REDISTRIBUTION.

                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                      ++  CancerNet Contents List ++
                      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

   PDQ Statement List, which includes:
        PDQ Treatment Summaries for Health Professionals
        PDQ Treatment Summaries for Patients
        PDQ Supportive Care Summaries
        PDQ Cancer Screening/Prevention Summaries
        PDQ Drug Information Summaries
   CancerNet News and NCI Publication Information
   Fact Sheets from the NCI
   CANCERLIT Citations and Abstracts

                       ************************
                          PDQ Statement List
                       ************************

The following list gives all the PDQ statements available on CancerNet:
treatment for health professionals and patients, supportive care,
screening/prevention, and drugs.

// ... //

PDQ TREATMENT STATEMENTS

DIAGNOSIS. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .HEALTH PROF . . PATIENTS

Adrenocortical Carcinoma . . . . . . . . . . .cn-101198 . . cn-201198
AIDS-Related Lymphoma. . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-103779 . . cn-203779

// ... //

Vulvar Cancer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-101038 . . cn-201038
Wilms' Tumor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-100719 . . cn-200719

SUPPORTIVE CARE
Constipation, Impaction, and Bowel Obstruction .cn-303510
Fatigue. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-304461

// ... //

Sleep Disorders. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-304282
Superior Vena Cava Syndrome. . . . . . . . . . .cn-304708

CANCER SCREENING AND PREVENTION
Overview
     Cancer Prevention. . . . . . . . . . . . . cn-304750
     Cancer Screening . . . . . . . . . . . . . cn-303092
Aerodigestive Tract Cancer (head & neck, esophagus, lung)
     Prevention. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-305233

// ... //

Testicular Cancer
     Screening . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-304729

INVESTIGATIONAL DRUGS
Aminocamptothecin (9-AC) . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-804975
Buthionine sulfoximine . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-801713

// ... //

Topotecan. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-804259
Tretinoin (TRA). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-804331

OTHER PDQ INFORMATION
Design of Clinical Trials. . . . . . . . . . . .cn-303901 . . . .cn-203900

// ... //

CancerNet News:  Information About CancerNet, PDQ, and Related Services
   Information About PDQ# . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .cn-400001
   Redistribution of CancerNet and CancerNet Availability . . .cn-400030

// ... //

*NOTE:
   Files that are marked with an ASTERISK (*) can only be obtained through
   CancerFax.  Use the following instructions to access CancerFax.

   |                     How do I use CancerFax?                           |
   | 1.  Use only the 6 digits from the CancerNet code in the Contents     |
   |     List (drop the "cn-" in front of the code).                       |

// ... //