Linear motors (urgent)

Barton F. Norton bnorton at silcom.com
Sat Mar 4 19:34:54 EST 1995

In article <USERNAME.4.001409AE at rtd.com>, USERNAME at rtd.com (REAL NAME) wrote:

> In article <3j847h$5md at synapse.bms.com> David Allen <allen at bms.com> writes:
> >From: David Allen <allen at bms.com>
> >Subject: Re: Linear motors (urgent)
> >Date: 3 Mar 1995 22:12:01 GMT
>
> >In article <3j4jue$cbi$1 at mhade.production.compuserve.com> G¸nther Mohr,
> >100073.1514 at CompuServe.COM writes:
> >>Does somebody has information about commercial available linear
> >>motors for linear movements at high precision?
> >>The device must be suited for dosing of small volumes of
> >>liquids and should have a high degree of accuracy of
> >>positioning.

If commercially-available dispensers do not meet your requirements for
precision or cost, I might be able to help.  Positioning actuators for the
semiconductor and disk drive industries can provide linear resolution down
to 2.5 nanometers (billionths of a meter).  On the other end of the scale,
head positioning stepper motors for floppy disk drives are available for
$15 with a controller chip for movements of 0.001 inches.

bnorton at silcom.com