microtubules

Dave Rintoul drintoul at ksu.ksu.edu
Fri Mar 10 12:04:01 EST 1995

Greetings

I am in the process of revising the companion volume for the next
edition of a major cell biology text, due out in the spring of 1995.
These companion volumes consist of questions (and answers) to assist
in learning the mass of material in the text proper.  These questions
start out easy (essentially vocabulary buiding) and progress through
conceptual stuff to the hardest questions, those dealing with analysis
of real experimental data gleaned from the literature.  Chapters for
which I am responsible include:

Microtubules

I would like to solicit suggestions and feedback on these student
exercises, using the bionet groups essentially as reviewers, critics,
or whatever.  I have discussed this with Dave Kristofferson, and he
agrees that this is a good use for the net, and falls under the NSF
goal of support for education, even though this textbook is a
commercial product.  Because of the latter complication, we have
agreed to discuss only the student exercises themselves and not
announce the name of the textbook or its publisher."

In preparing the microtubule chapter, I have floundered on a couple of
questions, and would appreciate any help that bionetters can provide.
Here goes:

1. Most known drugs/toxins that bind to tubulin come from plants
(colchicine, taxol, vinblastine, etc.).  I presume that the plants
that produce these things are not affected.  Why not?  Do they have
different tubulins?  Are the toxins sequestered (how) away from the
tubulin pools?  What are the functions of these toxins in the plant,
or does anybody know that?

2. I am looking for good recent papers on centrioles and the dynamics
thereof.  THis is NOT my area of expertise, but I presume that it is
the area of expertise of someone out there in net-land.  Any
suggestions for a paper which can provide a thought-provoking batch of
questions suitable for advanced undergraduates?

3. Same goes for good recent papers on the relationship (if any)
between microtubules and FAK, or mitogen-induced signal transduction
pathways which alter microtubular organization.

4. What is the function (if any) of tyrosinylation/detyrosinylation of
tubulin?

Please reply to this group, or directly to me at

drintoul at ksu.ksu.edu

Thanks in advance, sincerely.  In addition, suggestions about
experimental data (yours?) that could be used to generate some of the
harder questions would be much appreciated.  I think that it would be
a much better book if more people were involved in fine-tuning the
Q&A.  I will acknowledge all contributors in the preface of the text.

Dave Rintoul

Dave Rintoul                 Internet: drintoul at ksu.ksu.edu
Biology Division - KSU     Latitude 39.18, Longitude -96.34
Manhattan KS 66506-4901                Compuserve: 71634,32
(913)-532-6663 or 5832                  FAX: (913)-532-6653