non-radioactive cell growth assay

Thomas Mohr michael.micksche at univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 20 04:37:51 EST 1995

In article <3ka4pk$52r at usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu>, ecg at po.CWRU.Edu (Edward C. Goodwin) says:

>        If anyone has any suggestions for non-radioactive cell growth assays I would
>greatly appreciate it if you would drop me a line.  Our lab has been studying growth
>arrest upon expresssion of certain viral proteins and uses tritium incorporation as an
>assay for DNA synthesis.  I seem to recall an add for some ELISA assay that would measure the
>same thing, so if anyone out there in cyberland has any experience with this, positive or
>negative, I'ld really like to hear about it.
>                        Thanks in Advance,
>                                Ed Goodwin
>
>--
>Edward C. Goodwin PhD              ecg at po.cwru.edu
>Department of Genetics, SHM I-166  ecg at po.cwru.edu@cunynm (bitnet)
>Yale University School of Medicine "Facts do not cease to exist
>333 Cedar Street                    because they are ignored."

A very good and accurate MTT-Assay Kit  is available from Biomedica, Vienna, Austria.
The procedure is quick and  simple, it encompasses only dissolving the substrate in a buffer,
 pipetting into the wells of 96-plates, incubation (approx 2-3hrs) and measurement of the OD 450.
The regressioncurve  between cellnumber/well and OD 450 is almost linear from 1000 to 5000 cells/well
(Test line: SK-MEL 28) and the coefficient of standarddeviation is approx. 5-10% .

Best wishes,

Thomas