Methods of mammalian cell lysis

Dave Bates dobates at
Thu Mar 23 14:31:51 EST 1995

In article <rmrrgc.9.0012BAF2 at>
rmrrgc at (R.G. Chaudhari) writes:

> Does anyone have any ideas/protocols for lysing monolayer cells and cell
> nuclei without detergents. I am particularly interested in simple and swift
> methods that do not rely on high salt conditions/sonication as I am looking at
> potential protein complexes that are v.sensitive and labile-especially to
> detergents.
> Cheers
> Ravindra Chaudhari.

Try putting them in water. Blows the cell membrane nicely. Don't know
what it does to the nuclei though.

Dave Bates PhD                                     Tel: 916 752-7081
Postdoctoral Researcher                            Fax: 916 758-2554
Dept of Human Physiology                         email:
dobates at
University of California at Davis                drink: anything
Davis, California 95616, USA            No I don't have a sense of
                                                now buy me a beer