Vacuoles/Empty spaces in Endothelial cells

Dowdy Jackson djack at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:13:42 EST 1995

In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.950319022615.20687A-100000 at duke.usask.ca>,
Jason at UofSask <jir130 at duke.usask.ca> wrote:
>I'm currently culturing bovine brain endothelial cells.  I've noticed
>that in some of the cells there appears to be what looks like vacuoles or
>empty spaces (ranging from small ones to some that are about 1/4 the size
>of the cell) in the cytoplasm of the cells, usually near the nucleus.
>The cells don't seem to be dying as they are able to reach confluence.
>Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the formation of
>these vacuoles/spaces and how can it be eliminated from the culture?
>Could the cause be the serum (calf serum) or the basic fibroblast
>growth factor (human, recombinant) being used?
>
>TIA for any help/advice or comments given.
>
>Jason Ram

We have seen the same things in our bovine endothelial cells but this usuall
happens because of :

a) Cells are close to the max passage number.
b) The serum concentration or mitogen concentrations are too low.
c) The CO2 in the incubators is incorrect.

We use Endothelial Cell Growth Mitogen from Biomedical Technologies as our
mitogen becasue it works well and is cheaper than using fibroblast growth
factor.

Dowdy Jackson
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology