endothelial cell markers

Dowdy Jackson djack at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Sun Mar 26 19:37:31 EST 1995

In article <upperman.796164741 at njmsa>,
Jeffrey Upperman <upperman at njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU> wrote:

>does anybody know of a vendor that provides endothelial cell markers(i.e.
>antibodies, stains) for identification of primary cultures?  i am
>particularly interested in a FACS based methodology but histology will due.
>
>thanks
>--
>Jeffrey S. Upperman,MD                 Internet: upperman at umdnj.edu
>Research Fellow                           Voice:  (201) 982-4474
>Dept. Anatomy, Cell Biology & Injury        Fax:  (201) 982-6803
>Dept. of Surgery                         Beeper:  (201) 708-4150
>New Jersey Medical School                Office:  (201) 982-5045
>185 S. Orange Ave., G606                    Lab:  (201) 982-5404
>Newark, NJ 07103

You might want to try to use flourescently labeled LDL since endothelial cells
take up LDL through a LDL scavenger pathway. BioResearch Technologies sells
this and this is one of the test we use to check for endothelial cells in
culture. Another method is using a lectin, we use BSBL4 for mouse cells. You
have the lectin biotinylated, which you can buy, and use avidin conjugated to
HRP (horseraddish peroxidase) and that works well also.

Dowdy Jackson
Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Cell Biology