wierd cell culture contam

C.J. Hussussian, MD cjh at nchgr.nih.gov
Mon Mar 27 17:16:04 EST 1995

I am having a persistant and frustrating contamination problem with my
tissue culture. I am doing double transfections in melanoma cell lines
grown in DMEM. It seems that after a couple of weeks (the timing is
random), I begin to see black dots in the medium. At first I thought
that it was cell debris but they persist even when the cells are
extremely sparse. The dots seem to grow in pairs and chains. They do
not seem to affect cell growth and do not "take over" the culture as I
have seen bacteria do. That plus the fact that I have 5 antibiotics in
the culture (Pen, Strep, Neo, Hygro, Tetracycline) leads me to think
that they are fungus. I am starting to add Fungizone to the medium,
although I would prefer not to. Has anyone had this annoying problem?
What did you do to get rid of it?? Thanks in advance

Christopher Hussussian
NIH/NCHGR
49/4B83
Bethesda, MD 20892