Trouble with Fisher brand cartridge for Nanopure

Donald Chun Kit Wong dcwong at unixg.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 30 15:00:10 EST 1995

My supervisor just got convinced by a Fisher salesman to buy the Fisher
brand replacement cartridges for out Barnstead Nanopure II deionization
unit which we use to generate water for cell culture. When we opened the
sealed packets, the cartridges, especially the one at the end, smelled
like rotten fish. I guess that's the resin. But, the water that passed
through also smell the same way. We've passed more than 10 liters of water
through. The other problem is that the resistivity of the water went up
very very slowly and never went above 5 ohm even after about 8 hours of
recirculating the water in the unit (power on with the outlet closed). The
last thing is that whenever we turn the power off, air comes back out into
the feedwater from the pump.  This is in spite of the fact that water is
slowing out of the outlet freely and after a whole day of recirculating
with periodic water drainage from the outlet. My supervisor doesn't think
it's those cheap cartridges, but I'm not so sure. Maybe we've been penny
wise, pound foolish. Does anyone have any comments, suggestion, etc?
Thanks.

Donald Wong
Pathology
U.B.C, Canada.