Sodium bicarbonate in photosynthesis

vsuiro at botzoo.uct.ac.za vsuiro at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Tue May 9 11:52:10 EST 1995

In the experiment concerning the effect of light intensity
and temperature on photosynthesis, Elodea sprigs are immersed in a sodium
bicarbonate solution (0.1%) instead of water. Why ?
This experiment is described in "Experiments in Plant
Physiology" by F.W.Witham, D.F.Blaydes and R.M Devlin (1971).
I think it could be because :
- sodium bicarbonate can be a source of carbon dioxide
- sodium bicarbonate can protect the plant from variations
of temperature (more than water)
If anybody can give me more reasons or tell me if I am right.
Thank you.