FBS trouble part2

Dr Catherine McIntyre c.a.mcintyee at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 03:24:07 EST 1995

The only way that you can be sure that you have a contamination problem
is by trying to culyure the offending organisms. Try plating out a
sample of the FBS on some nutrient agar or put a few drops in some broth
e.g. Thioglycollate. If you manage to grow anything try and befreind a
bacteriologist to look at the samples for you - they will probably be
able to do a gram stain and an antibiotic sensitivity test for you.
If they are not bacteria it is possible that you could have plasmodium
contamination which I believe (from the grapevine) can frequently
conataminate serum products although I do not know anything about them.
Good luck
Catherine