is it OK to sonicate?

Andrei Zhukov Andrei.Zhukov at mbb.ki.se
Fri Nov 10 13:53:52 EST 1995

My project is going to involve the isolation of subcellular fractions (nuclei, mitochondria, lysosomes,
microsomes, plasma membrane) from cultured cells. Is the sonication of cell suspension an appropriate
way of preparing cell homogenate? Will the organelles like lysosomes stay intact after such treatment?
I would be very grateful for any comments comparing different ways of cell homogenization (e.g ultrasonic
vs. mechanical) as the initial step in subcellular fractionation of cultured cells.

Best regards,

Andrei Zhukov