Cell membrane staining

Desok Kim dkim at med.unc.edu
Tue Nov 14 17:45:10 EST 1995

Dear Fellow Colleagues,
We are trying to quantify the staining density of some steroid receptors per
cell using fluorescence microscopy. We have some slides of 8-16 micron thick
prostate cancer tissue cut from originally frozen tissue block.
We are going to use FITC conjugated secondary antibody to stain steroid
receptors.
Here we wonder whether some cell membrame stains such as
Texas Red conjugated Concanavalin or CellTracker CM-DiI (Molecular Probes)
will stain cell membrane bright enough to isolate each cell during
image analysis. In our slides, there would be only strips of cut cell membrane
to be stained.
Anyone have some experience similar to what I describe here?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Desok Kim