1 Brown/1 Blue eye

Jon Nakamoto jnakamot at ucla.edu
Mon Nov 27 05:35:37 EST 1995

Why do Husky dogs so often have one blue eye and one brown eye? I'd love
to hear what you come up with.

One entity to watch for in humans is Waardenburg syndrome (basically a
localized hypopigmentation which can affect the hair and iris/fundus
pigmentation, as well as related auditory structures). You can have a
single blue iris in someone who should have brown eyes (e.g., an Asian
subject). Is there a white forelock? Any hearing loss? Any vision
problems?

Also, some drugs (e.g., imipramine) have been associated with darkening of
iris pigmentation after long-term use. I doubt this is operative here (and
wouldn't explain the unilateral changes).

If you get the authoritative answer, let me know!

Jon

Jon Nakamoto, M.D.
Pediatrics/Endocrinology
UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90024
jnakamot at ucla.edu

--
Jon Nakamoto
jnakamot at ucla.edu