UNUSUAL MUTANT

Sepp D. Kohlwein kohlwein at fscm1.dnet.tu-graz.ac.at
Mon Oct 9 11:30:41 EST 1995

"Martin Kucej"  <KUCEJ at fns.uniba.sk> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>I am trying to solve a problem of an unusual thermosensitive yeast
>mutant, which lyses at 37 C. The following occurs after the shift of
>this strain to the restrictive temperature:
>
> 1. a growth ceases (cells are arrested in different stages of the
>      cell  cycle)
> 2. cell volume drasticly decrases (cell shrinking, cytoplasmic
>      membrane separates from the cell wall)
> 3. DNA content of the cell pours off to the cytoplasm (nuclear
>      membrane probably disintegrates)
>
> Of course, this results in the death of the whole population of
>cells after several hours of incubation at 37 C.
> If you have ever met such a strange mutant strain, any suggestions
>or informations will be very useful for me. Thanks in advance
>
>                  Martin Kucej
>
>e-mail: kucej at fns.uniba.sk
>
>Martin Kucej
>Biochemistry Department
>Faculty of Natural Sciences UK
>Mlynska Dolina CH-1
>Bratislava
>84215
>SLOVAK REPUBLIC

Hi Martin,
looks like a major membrane (lipid) defect. Any data on lipids available?
Regards

Sepp D. Kohlwein

Sepp D. Kohlwein, PhD
Genetics and Molecular Biology Group
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry
Technical University Graz                   phone:  ++43 (316) 873-6456
Petersgasse 12                              fax:    ++43 (316) 873-6952
A 8010 Graz, Austria           e-mail kohlwein at fscm1.dnet.tu-graz.ac.at