Mitochondrial DNA misinformation

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Tue Oct 10 08:58:06 EST 1995

     Thank you for correcting my error.  I was not aware of this
     literature.  Please forgive the ignorance of a biochemist.  It is too
     easy to get so deeply focused on pathways/mechanisms that one forgets
     about the rest of the animal. :-)

     Margaret Martens

Subject: Mitochondrial DNA misinformation
Author:  Jim Cummins <cummins at possum.murdoch.edu.au> at Internet-Mail
Date:    10/6/95 10:58

Sorry, this is just plain wrong, yet it persists in many texts.  Sperm
definitely carry mitochondria into the egg.  There is a low a=
lbeit measurable level of paternal inheritance on mt DNA.  One of Allan Wilson's
last papers actually measured the rate of paternal =
inheritance of mitochondria in lab mice,
and found it to be around 10^-4 (Nature 352: 255-257 1991).

<snip>

Jim Cummins, Associate Professor in Veterinary Anatomy,
Murdoch University, Western Australia 6150.
TEL +61-9-360 2668 FAX +61-9-310 4144
<cummins at possum.murdoch.edu.au>