Staurosporine stimulation

arturo.galvani at itner.pharmacia.se arturo.galvani at itner.pharmacia.se
Fri Sep 8 02:29:29 EST 1995

     Hi pos,

     It is a common misconception that staurosporine is a specific
     inhibitor of protein kinase C.  Although a potent inhibitor of this
     enzyme ( IC50 in low nM range), staurosporine also inhibits (amongst
     others) cAMP and cGMP dependent protein kinases, and tyrosine kinases
     such as src, all with IC50s in the nM range.  For a more specific
     inhbitor of PKC, try having a look at bisindoyl maleimide
     (ref.: Toullec et al., JBC vol 266 pp15771-15781, 1991).
     This compound is available from Boerhinger Mannheim (no affiliation!)

     Cheers, Arturo Galvani
     Pharmacia BioPharmaceuticals Milan
     (all opinions expressed are strictly my own)