Need Molecular Bio Lab Practices

Sandra Poudrier poudrier at coyote.csusm.edu
Mon Sep 18 15:19:35 EST 1995

I am looking for guidelines as to what are the standard laboratory
practices when working with molecular biology products.

Areas I am hoping to get information or referenes on:

Microbial Controls:

What level of microbial control is needed?
Can any level of microbial contamination be tolerated?

DNase:

Is DNase the only microbial contaminant to be concerned with when working
with DNA?
Can any level of DNase activity be tolerated?
Is there a standardized test for detecting DNase?

Water Quality:

What precautions must be taken with the water for making perparations?
Is sterile filtered D.I. water acceptable or is it necessary to
autoclave as well?  Is one perferred over the other?
Are chemicals or endotoxins ever a concern?

RNase:

Is there any antigenicity or safety issues when working with lyophilized
RNase?

Is there any antigenicity or safety issues when working with lyophilized
RNase?

Regulatory Issues:

Any references as to safety or other regulations applicable to working
with DNA would be appreciated.

I know there are many questions that cover several subjects, but if you
have any useful information on any one of them, it would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks for your time and expertise.  I am still a student
and have a lot to learn.

Sandy