enzymes and activation energy?

Paul. S. Brookes. psb at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 25 08:06:55 EST 1995

rray at ix.netcom.com (ROMAN RAY ) wrote:-

>How does an enzyme lower the activation energy of a reaction and
>therefore causing the catalysis of the reaction????

I thought enzymes catalysed by stabilising the transition state of a
reaction (presumably by transiently bonding/interacting with it)

This can be proven by taking a proposed transition state analogue for a
given reaction, and making an antibody to it.  The antibody should then act
as a catalyst for the original reaction.  This has been done with limited
success.

Regards,
PSB

Paul Brookes >><< psb at bioc.cam.ac.uk >><< 01223 333649
Biochemistry, Tennis Court Rd, Cambridge, CB2 1QW, UK.
http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/lab/brand/people/paul/paul.html