(no subject)

ryan at mbcf.stjude.org ryan at mbcf.stjude.org
Tue Sep 26 10:30:42 EST 1995

In article <445ilh$clg at merlion.singnet.com.sg>, j140474 at singnet.com.sg(jene) writes:
> Hello,
>

>         I ran a gel electrophoresis. The samples run were genomic DNA of
> Arabidopsis that had been restricted with MluI, EcoRI and Sau3A. I had
> expected to see clear and distinct bands but instead I ended up with
> smears( with no obvious bands) on all my lanes. The ladder came out all
> right.
> What was the smearing due to? Was it a consequence of multiple site
> restriction ?
>
> Anyone who can give me helpful hints please post a reply back to this
> newsgroup. Thanks!
>
>                                 Jene

Hi Jene,

How did you visualize your DNA? Blot hybridization to a specific probe DNA will
light up only fragments that contain bases complementary to the probe. Staining
with e.g. ethidium bromide will show all fragments, all sizes (i.e., a smear).

Kevin.
	Kevin W. Ryan
	Department of Virology & Molecular Biology
	St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
	Memphis, Tennessee 38101-0318, U.S.A.

	phone: (901) 495-3411
	fax:   (901) 523-2622