Depolymerizing Phalloidin Stabilized Actin

Stephen P. Driska PhD driska at
Mon Apr 1 17:16:57 EST 1996

Alan Williams (williams at wrote:
: I'm working on isolating cytoskeletal bound proteins and am interested in
: treatments to depolymerized phalloidin stabilized F-actin.  Any ideas or
: pointers to published work would be appreciated.

: Thanks, Alan Williams

: --
: Alan Williams
: University of California, Riverside   "Where observation is concerned,
: Dept. of Botany and Plant Sciences     chance favors the prepared mind."
: alanjohn at                            -- Louis Pasteur

	I don't remember if KI (potassium iodide) works on actin in
the presence of phalloidin.  KI has been used by muscle biochemists for
years because it depolymerizes actin, pretty much irreversibly as I recall.
Half-molar concentrations or so were used.....
Steve Driska, Physiology Department, Temple University Medical School
Philadelphia, PA 19140 USA (215) 707-3283
driska at
If I could think of something witty and clever to say, it would go right