CORRELATION BETWEEN CELL TUMORIGENICITY AND CELL SUSCEPTIBILITY TO ATP-INDUCED CELL GROWTH INHIBITION

Igor Entin googol at nyct.net
Sun Apr 21 10:29:59 EST 1996

CORRELATION BETWEEN CELL TUMORIGENICITY AND CELL SUSCEPTIBILITY TO
ATP-INDUCED CELL GROWTH INHIBITION

R. Massas, I. Entin, O. Oged-Plesz and I. Friedberg.
Dept. of Cell Research and Immunology, Tel Aviv University, Israel.

Previous studies in our laboratory have shown that extracellular ATP
inhibits the growth of transformed murine fibroblasts in a
concentration-dependent manner, whereas the growth of their
non-transformed counterparts is only slightly affected. Similarly,
exogenous ATP has been found to exert cell growth inhibition of
various cancerous cells of human origin. Furthermore, ATP inhibits
cancer development in experimental animals, as was shown in our
laboratory, and in others'.  We found that ecto-protein kinase
(ecto-PK) plays a major role in the inhibition process, by
phospho-activation of a latent inhibitor. In this research project we
examined the possibility of a correlation between the level of cell
tumorigenicity and the efficiency of exogenous ATP as an inducer of
cell growth inhibition. For this purpose we used lines of murine
fibroblasts, Balb/C-3T3 cells (B-3T3), and their virally transformed
derivatives: C-cells (culture cells) and CTC-cells
(culture-tumor-culture cells). (The cells were gratefully obtained
from the laboratory of Prof. I. P. Witz, in which the cell
tumorigenicity was found to be in the order CTC>C>B-3T3). Studies on
the effects of exogenous ATP on these cells have shown that the growth
of CTC cells is markedly inhibited, the growth inhibition of C cells
is less pronounced, whereas the growth of B-3T3 cells is only
insignificantly affected. The activity of ecto-PK was found to
increase with the increase of cell tumorigenicity. These data suggest
that the correlation between cell tumorigenicity and the efficiency of
ATP-induced growth inhibition is due, at least in part, to the
increase of ecto-PK activity with the increase of cell tumorigenicity.
Supported by the Ela Kodesz institute for Research on Cancer
Development and Prevention, and by TAU.

RESUME:
I am willing to relocate.

Igor Entin
108 Stryker Street, 2 fl.,
Brooklyn  NY  11223.
1-718-3824629
E-Mail: googol at nyct.net

Career objective: Seeking a challenging position in medicine or
industry
with opportunity to apply my experience and develop skills.

Desired Work Status: Full-Time; Contract; Fellowship.

Education:
Nov. 95     		- M.Sc. in microbiology  from Tel-Aviv
                          University, Israel.
Oct. 93-Nov. 95    	- graduate student towards M.Sc. at Tel-Aviv
                          University, Department of Cell Research &
                          Immunology, under supervision of professor
                          Ilan Friedberg.
Oct. 93                 - B.Sc. in biology  from Tel-Aviv University,
                          Israel.
Oct. 91-Oct. 93       	- undergraduate student towards B.Sc. in
biology
                          (Tel-Aviv University, Israel).
Sep. 87-Jan. 90      	- medical student in Grodno medical institute

                          (Belarus', former USSR).

Honors/activities:
TEL-AVIV UNIVERSITY - full fellowship, assistantship.
GRODNO MEDICAL INSTITUTE - academic competition winner in biology and
chemistry.

Conference Presentation:
Massas R., Entin I., Oged-Plesz O., Friedberg I. Correlation between
cell
tumorigenicity and cell susceptibility to  ATP-induced cell growth
inhibition. The International Conference on tumor microenviroment
progression, therapy & prevention. (14-18 May 1995 - Tiberias and Beit

Gabriel,Israel). Abstracts.

M.Sc. thesis:
Correlation between cell tumorigenicity and exogenous ATP-induced
growth
inhibition in malignant cells.

Research project:
Entin I., Sagi-Asif O., Witz I. IL-6 secretion by spleen cells of
plasmacytoma regressor mice.

Skills:
ELISA, protein purification, cell cultures, protein radiolabeling,
enzyme
assay, growing of transformed cells in soft agar, working with
laboratory
animals.

Computers:
Knowledge of the PC (Windows and DOS), Macintosh Apple. Microsoft
applications: Word, Excel, Power Point. On-line Database  Search.
Sigma Plot, EndNote, Internet software. Word processing using
WordPerfect
and Microsoft Word.

Languages:
Hebrew, English, Russian (native).