G418 resistance lost... danger(s)?

rhubner at molbiol.ox.ac.uk rhubner at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Aug 7 19:23:19 EST 1996

hi there cellbiol-netters,

 some years ago a cell line was established in our lab under selection with
G418 (retrovirus -> resistance)... mRNA studies were done on passages from
DMSO-stocks, but several months ago we noticed that all freeze-downs are no
longer gentamicin resistant...
 what can be expected from such cell lines regarding stability?

 thank you very much for comments!

 Have a nice day,
 Roland

ps.I cultured this month something that suddenly (over two days period) changed
   the phenotype of subconfluent cells into "cells" with a big nucleus and few
   cytoplamsa around it (not vivible contamination though!) whereas usually
   they grow fibroblast like [after days in confluence they mineralise...] --
   getting a shiver down my spine...