DNA labelling

Vivek Kumar vkumar at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Fri Aug 16 03:19:19 EST 1996

Hi.
I would appreciate any input, comments or suggestions that you might
have
about non-radioactive labelling DNA kits.
What we have is a 33-mer oligo, that we use to probe total RNA extracted
from
rat adipose tissue for the mRNA.  Until now, our lab has routinely used
P32 to
label the probe and we are only now looking at the option of switching
to a
non-radioactive method.  The problem that we seem to have is that the
target
mRNA is not abundant, and even with the P32 labeled probe, the exp time
needed
on Phosphor screen is 2-3 days.

PS:  The other probe we use routinely is a full-length cDNA, to probe
for a
msg which is fairly abundant.  Any suggestions for what kind of
labelling kit
would be most preferable?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Vivek