long-term, irreversible membrane markers

Jorg Kirberg kirberg at nki.nl
Sat Aug 24 16:28:47 EST 1996

In article <4vktu5$1p2g at ds2.acs.ucalgary.ca>, kmuldrew at acs.ucalgary.ca
(Ken Muldrew) wrote:

> Has anyone ever heard of membrane dyes which are essentially
> permanent? Perhaps with the name "zynaxis"? I'm trying to decide on a
> method for marking graft cells as compared with host (xy vs. xx won't
> work in this situation).
> Ken Muldrew
> kmuldrew at acs.ucalgary.ca

Dear Ken,

no idea about "zynaxis", but doesn't sigma sell some red fluorescent
dye that binds to membranes ? There was even an add in the
last science issue (Aug 16, opposide page 863).

If I remember correctly, that is the same dye someone used in the
institute I worked before. Try medline searching for
Allen Young (Basel Institute for Immunology, Switzerland). He was
quite pleased by the stuff he used. Fluorescence was long lasting as

Joerg Kirberg                              Tel. 0031 - 20 - 512 19 98
The Netherlands Cancer Institute           FAX  0031 - 20 - 512 20 11
Div. Molecular Genetics (H4)               E_mail kirberg at nki.nl
Plesmanlaan 121
NL - 1066 CX Amsterdam
The Netherlands