PBS - More or less ?!

Jackie E. Kylander jek at med.unc.edu
Wed Aug 28 08:32:30 EST 1996

In article <9608280303.ZM16666 at venetta.tran.wau.nl>,
flim at venetta.tran.wau.nl ("General account ", VENETTA) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am currently setting up a procedure to label cells with fluorescent
>probes. In such procedures, PBS is often used to wash the cells.
>However, there are many recipes for PBS. Sometimes it only consists
>of phosphate buffer, sometimes sodium chloride and/or potassium
>chloride is added. Not only the composition but also the concentrations
>differ.
>Can somebody advise on the composition and concentrations of a PBS buffer
>used for washing cells?!
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Joachim Goedhart
>Dept. Biochemistry
>University of Wageningen
>The Netherlands
Hello. Technically if it's PBS it has sodium chloride in it ( the S for
saline part).  We generally use Dulbecco's phosphate buffered saline at
pH7.5 without calcium or magnesium. You will probably hear dozens of
different formulations  each with it's own fans. Basically you need .01M
phosphate and .154M sodium chloride at ph7.2-7.5 or there abouts. Since
the cells are only being washed in this solution you just have to be
nontoxic and isotonic.

--
Jackie E. Kylander <jek at med.unc.edu>
A/OSB