dissolving xathine

David Winterbourne sghk100 at sghms.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 06:15:31 EST 1996

In article <raja-1012961836260001 at toxin.bioc.uvic.ca>, Srikumar M. Raja

>I am having some problems with dissolving xathine in water at conc. 10
>mg/ml for tissue culture.

Xanthine is sparingly soluble in water (~0.4mM = ~0.06mg/ml). Salts of
xanthine are more soluble than the free base.

It is possible to get fairly high concentrations into solution by raising the
pH. I prepare 40mM stock solutions in 0.1M NaOH. As long as your final
concentration in medium is below ~2mM this has little effect on the pH of the
medium. Above this final concentration it will precipitate in the medium.

Dr. David Winterbourne
Department of Surgery
St George's Hospital Medical School, London SW17 0RE, England
Tel: 0181-725-5581   Fax: 0181-725-3594