transformation or transfection?

Richard J. Dudley rdudley at nrc.uab.edu
Wed Dec 11 11:09:20 EST 1996

Transformation usually applies to bacteria, transfection usually applies
to cultured cells.  I think this arises from phenotypic changes caused
by the intorduction of the DNA (i.e., bacteria have an altered
phenotype, and are considered 'transformed'), although it's my personal
opinion that the distinction here is merely a mater of classical
symantics.

Richard J. Dudley
Neurobiology Research Center                    "Unsheath the blade
Dep't of Physiology and Biophysics              within the voice..."
University of Alabama School of Medicine
http://www.nrc.uab.edu