Looking for Volunteers to test alternative to antibiotics

Andrea Kalin andrea at MK.IBEK.COM
Thu Dec 19 11:43:44 EST 1996

My colleague and I have developed a new preservative/biocide process called
(PPM) which can be used in plant tissue culture labs as a substitute for commonly used
antibiotics such as Carbenicillin and Cefotaxime.  We have conducted extensive research
already on plant tissue cultures.  We believe it should also work with Mammalian cell
cultures as well. We are currently looking for laboratories to test PPM for both
mammalian cell cultures and plant tissue cultures. We will provide PPM at no cost.

PPM prevents the germination of both bacteria and fungi spores (i.e. it prevents the
formation of fungi and bacteria cell walls), it is heat stable and therefore can be
autoclaved with the media.  PPM is less expensive than the above antibiotics and makes
it affordable for much wider use.  The recommended dose of PPM is non-toxic and does not
impair in vitro seed's germination, callus proliferation and callus regeneration.  We
are presently testing the effect of PPM on protoplast culture and against Agrobacterium
tumefaciens.  PPM is heat stable and will substantially simplifies the working
procedures as follows:

1)	Media can be dispensed outside the laminar flow hood (LFH) exposed to the
ambient air.  The plates should be covered soon after agar solidification.  In the event
that media dispensing is done by a pump, we recommend passing autoclaved hot water
through the hoses prior to and after media dispensing.

2)	Heat sensitive or heat stable liquid media, does not need to be sterilized by
Millipore filters or autoclaved providing that it will be stored in sterile containers
and that the stock solutions are not contaminated.  In rich media containing 500ml/liter
or more of amino acids or proteins, it is recommended to filter the media with the PPM.

3)	Working in the LFH the utensils (forceps or scalpels) do not need to be flamed.
 They should be periodically dipped in 70% alcohol.  The LFH's do not need to be
certified and the work can be done as well outside the LFH's on a clean surface for a
period not exceeding one hour.

Saftey Issues:  PPM is non-toxic.  Nevertheless, it should be used in proper dosages.
Gloves should be used and contact with skin should be avoided.

For more information on PPM or how you can participate in a test, please contact Martin
Kalin at (202) 463-0904 ext. 134.  or at marty at mk.ibek.com.