Looking for Apoptosis/Necrosis Assay

Christopher Hatton Hatton at Ifn-magdeburg.de
Sun Dec 22 18:45:18 EST 1996

(Kai Kehe) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working with an adherent cell line (keratinocytes). For screening
> toxicological effects I'm looking for a good assay to measure the
> percentage of apoptotic and necrotic cells after exposure.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Kai Kehe
>
> Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Garching, Germany
> e-Mail: kai.kehe at fbw.baynet.de

I've found the PMS / MTS mixture, from the Promega Cell Titre96 AQuenos
assay good, easy to perform.  I used it for primary, secondary and cell
lines from the human and pig bronchial epithelium for compound screening
at Glaxo-Wellcome.  However just to make sure we would also do a
Propidium iodide (0.1%) test along side.

It worked on 48 and 96 well formats, for less it was more ecomonical to
use another tetrazolium dye MTT however this was messy and the cystals
have to be solubilised.

Hope this is useful.
Yours

Christopher Hatton
Institut fuer Neurobiologie
Magdeburg
Germany
--

Chris Hatton

Is life just a game where we make up the rules while we are searching
for something to say, or are we just simply spirals of self replicating
DNA.
(Monty Python- from the meaning of life).
http://www.ifn-magdeburg.de
Please note that the above views are my own and not (just) those of the
IfN.