Is it possible that everything is alive?

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Feb 1 05:01:12 EST 1996

Tara Johnson (johnsota at ucs.orst.edu) wrote:
> 	Couldn't it be possible that everything is actually alive?

Before asking this question, you should define what "being alive"
actually means.

Biologists have traditionally defined "being alive" as having all of
the following properties:
1) Metabolism
2) Response to external stimuli
3) Movement
4) Propagation
5) Growth

Viruses for example do not have all of these properties. I have seen
other properties of living beings defined on bionet.general. You might
search the newsgroups at http://www.bio.net/ to get an idea.

--Cornelius.