Karyotyping birds

Administrador de iihema.fmed.uba.ar postmast at iihema.fmed.uba.ar
Sat Feb 10 00:10:35 EST 1996

Dear Kaare,

In your message <4fch6h$elr at dole.uninett.no> you wrote:

"I wondered if anyone out there knew any good techniques for karyotypin=
g=20
ducks without killing the objects. I guess this should mean getting=20
metaphase cells/chromosomes in quantities great enough for analyses=20
without growing cultures from the birds internal organs."

I wonder, isn't it possible to obtain some lymphocytes from the ducks' =
blood,
culture them with some mitogen (I think PHA is currently used) stop the=
m=20
in metaphase with colchicine and karyotype the just like you'd do if yo=
u=20
were karyotypin human lymphocytes?.
Just a thought.
Facundo Garc=A1a Bournissen.