(no subject)

Bruce Stevenson brus at anatomy.anat.med.ualberta.ca
Mon Feb 12 15:16:27 EST 1996

GRADUATE STUDENT AND POSTDOCTORAL FUNDING AVAILABLE

I have recently been awarded grants which include graduate student and
postdoctoral funding at competitive salaries. My research is focussed on
the molecular analysis of the tight junction. Projects in the lab involve
characterization of tight junction-specific molecules, with emphasis on
ZO-1, ZO-2 and a novel ZO-1/ZO-2 binding protein tentatively named ZO-3.
Preliminary data indicate that ZO-3 is homologous to ZO-1, ZO-2 and to
the larger family of proteins that includes lethal(1)discs-large-1 tumor
suppressor gene product of Drosophila, erythrocyte membrane-associated
p55 and PSD-95/SAP90, a protein found at brain pre-synaptic membranes.
The discovery of ZO-3 opens a whole new direction in this field, and
investigating the binding interactions among junctional molecules is
critical to understanding tight junction assembly and physiology.

I am looking for people who enjoy their science and who are willing to
explore new territory, both scientifically and geographically. Further
information on the available positions, my research, this university,
Edmonton and Canada can be obtained through our department's World Wide
Web home page at http://fungus.biochem.ualberta.ca/cellbiol/ or by
contacting me directly.

Bruce Stevenson
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology