Glycoproteins in fungi?

Stefan.Rosen at mbioekol.lu.se Stefan.Rosen at mbioekol.lu.se
Thu Feb 22 04:51:45 EST 1996

Dear Scientists,

Anyone who has any good references about glycoproteins in fungi (I can not
find almost any, besides for yeast)? I am working with a fungal lectin
that is located both intracellularly (cytoplasm, nucleoplasm) as well as
extracellularly. This fungal lectin binds (in vitro) to
galbeta3-galNAc-Ser/Thre and to some complex N-linked sugars (ONLY if
linked to intact protein  and NOT to free oligosaccharides or
neoglycoproteins or glycolipids). This lectin also binds to some sulfated
glyconjugates (eg sulfatid and fucoidan) and to the phospholipids
phosphatidic acid and phosphatidyl glycerol. However I can not detect any
endogenous ligand for this lectin in the fungus. Therefore I would like to
have more information that is known for glycoproteins as well as other
glyconjugates in fungi.

More specific questions:

Have galbeta3-galNAc-Ser/Thre been reported in fungi?

Sialic acid?

Sulfated glycolipids?

Glycoaminoglycans?

Best regards

Stefan Rosén

Stefan Rosen                      E-mail: Stefan.Rosen at mbioekol.lu.se
   Dept. of Microbial Ecology        Tel: +46-46-222 37 58
   Solvegatan 37                     Fax: +46-46-222 41
58

   S-223 62 Lund
   SWEDEN