Plasmid electrophoresis...

Fri Jun 7 06:57:24 EST 1996

In article <elauzier-0606961205240001 at mac108.peps.ulaval.ca>,
Edouard Lauzier <elauzier at fse.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>I put on a agarose gel a solution of plasmid DNA for the first time lately...
>
>I was wondering about the structural form of the three signals I get after
>staining with ethidium bromide.
>
>I guess one's the supercoiled, another's is the plasmid under a loose form
>but the last one ??

	The third form is linearized plasmid DNA.  If you nick the DNA on
both strands sufficiently close to each other, the ends can come apart.
You can confirm this for yourself by digesting the plasmid with a restric-
tion enzyme that cuts at a unique site.

--
Unique ID : Ladasky, John Joseph Jr.
Title     : BA Biochemistry, U.C. Berkeley, 1989  (Ph.D. perhaps 1998???)