Subfractionating yeast

group at mendel.berkeley.edu group at mendel.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 11 20:29:12 EST 1996

In article <mbxfd-110696123054 at wpbfd.biochem.nottingham.ac.uk>,
mbxfd at unix.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk (Fergus Doherty) wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a good recent ref or review on subcellular
> fractionation of yeast?
>
> I'm thinking of replacing a liver fract with a yeast one for a class - so I
> need to be able to get all the major organelles reasonably separated with
> one fractionation (because other parts of the class look at yeast alcohol
> dehydrogenase - so it makes sense).  Advice on the need to prepare
> spheroplasts or not appreciated.
>
> Also, for research purposes a good way to prepare highly purified vacuoles.
>
> All from S. cerevisiae, most probably.

Bad news.  Yeast organelles are not easier to fractionate.

Do a medline search on Peter Novick.  Look for a Methods in Enzymology or
Methods in Cell Biology paper called
"Fractionating Yeast Organelles".

However, good protocols for purification of vacuoles exist.  Try a medline
search on William Wickner.  He has a recent Cell paper on vacuole fusion.