Are _forskolin_ and _U69593_ cAMP inhibitors?

A. John Watson watson_j at
Thu Jun 13 17:01:48 EST 1996

In article <31B33765.1F36E9B3 at>, Chris Barry <chbarry at> wrote:

> I just looked in the Amersham catalog and U69593 is a kappa agonist.
> Anyone want to elaborate?
> Chris

I think that kappa opioid receptors are belived to couple via pertussis
toxin-sensitive Gi/Go proteins to the inhibition of calcium channels.
Now, Gi can also inhibit adenylyl cyclase, and there is evidence that Go
can do the same.  So that could explain an inhibitory effect on [cAMP] by

John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
watson_j at