Collagen gels for Tissue Transplantation!

Dr.M.M.Rajan mmrajan at cc.iitb.ernet.in
Thu Jun 20 23:12:30 EST 1996

Dear Researcher,
	Hello!
	I have been using collagen gels for the creation of a composite
membrane in which I seed cells towards the study of cells for tissue
transplantation.
	Recently I started using UV exposure for sterilisation of the
gels before seeding the cells. There appears to be change in cells
adhesion to the gel. I am using the conventional UV hood which is used for
crosslinking DNA to nylon membranes.
	DOes anybody know whether there could be a change in cell adhesion
by UV exposure.

Also, any suggestions about the quantification of cell proliferations and
growth in matrices of this sort. I have been using the MTT but it appears
to be a bit difficult. There appears to be a delay in the crystal
formation and extracting the crystals out. Should I use collagenase to
lyse the matrix and release the cells out? Does this process affect the
cell count?
Help needed in these quarters...
Thanking you in anticipation,
Yours