Animal liver cell cultures

Mike Gardner m.j.gardner at bham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 14 17:10:55 EST 1996

Adrian J. Terranova wrote:

>   I am looking for liver cell cultures for the following animals
>              -rat

[snip]

>    I need any and all relevent information on keeping the cells alive and
> reproducing and HAPPY!!!!!
>
>     Any intro cell culture information would be greatly appreciated, any
> leads would also be greatly appreciated.

I have cultured primary rat hepatocytes on type I collagen coated TC
plates using Williams E medium and a 5% CO2 atmosphere.
However the cells only survive for less than a week and so you may not
consider them very "happy". They proliferate in the presence of mitogens
(eg EGF or HGF).
Hope this is of some help,
Mike