crystal violet

Steven Vokal vokal at creighton.edu
Wed Mar 20 21:01:02 EST 1996

I have been fooling around with a method for quantitating fixed cells in
a 96 well plate using a stain called crystal violet. The fixed cells
absorb the stain in their nucleus and is then solublized and read on an
ELISA plate reader.  Has anyone used this method?  How accurate is it?
One of my problems is how long to rinse in distilled water.  Also dye
uptake is pH dependent.  There have been papers published all using
different chemicals for solublization.  Which is best?