293 transfection

Richard J. Dudley rdudley at nrc.uab.edu
Wed May 15 13:17:55 EST 1996

I am transfecting 293 cells (human epithelial kidney) with Lipofectaime
fron Gibco-BRL.  The first time worked splendidly, but subsequent
transfections (we're using transients) have yielded mediocre results.
There are several superstitions I have heard, one of which is something
to the effect of, if the primary culture exceeds approx. 70%
confluency, subsequent generations of cells will be affected negatively
in terms of transfection.  The solution is to thaw an aliquot of early
generations and start again.  I have tried several other solutions--I
was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into this one.  My
primary did reach approx. 90% confluency on one ocassion.  I have many
early generations frozen away, so if this is true, there's not much of
a problem.  Thanks to anyone with info, and I'll post what I find out
later.

rich

Richard J. Dudley
Neurobiology Research Center
University of Alabama School of Medicine