Centriole shape and orientation

Nigel Dyer nigel.dyer at luke1017.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 19:15:59 EST 1996

For some time now I have been intrigued by the 'T' formation of the
Centriole.  As an engineer the shape strikes me as being very significant,
and yet I can find no discussion in papers etc as to why it might be that
shape.

One possible pointer to the significance of the shape might be in the
orientation of the 'T'.  I recognise that such experiments would be
technically very difficult but has any work been done to investigate the
orientation with respect to each other of the replicated centriole pairs
during cell division.  I have not managed to discover any evidence of
research in this area.  Has the orientation of the centriole when cells are
not undergoing cell division been investigated?

On page 819 of 'Molecular Biology of the Cell' by Bruce Alberts et al a
pair of newly replicated centrioles are shown with their 'T's in a  "--|
|--" orientation.  Is this accidental or is it always like this?  If it is
always like this immediately after replication how long is this orientation
maintained?

I would be very interested and grateful for any information or leads in
this area