Centriole shape and orientation

Dennis Goode goode at ZOOL.UMD.EDU
Mon Nov 11 17:48:02 EST 1996

>"Nigel Dyer" <nigel.dyer at luke1017.demon.co.uk
>wrote on the
>Subject:       Centriole shape and orientation
>Date:          Sat, 09 Nov 1996 00:15:59 GMT

>For some time now I have been intrigued by the 'T' formation of the
>Centriole.  As an engineer the shape strikes me as being very significant,
>and yet I can find no discussion in papers etc as to why it might be that
>shape.

>orientation of the 'T'.  I recognise that such experiments would be
>technically very difficult but has any work been done to investigate the
>orientation with respect to each other of the replicated centriole pairs
>during cell division.  I have not managed to discover any evidence of
>research in this area.  Has the orientation of the centriole when cells are
>not undergoing cell division been investigated?

>On page 819 of 'Molecular Biology of the Cell' by Bruce Alberts et al a
>pair of newly replicated centrioles are shown with their 'T's in a  "--|
>|-" orientation.  Is this accidental or is it always like this?  If it is
>always like this immediately after replication how long is this orientation
>maintained?

Nigel,

Yes the orientation appears to be very significant and maintained (or
altered) to determine the planes of division during development.

Some papers and a Book, starting with a classic;

Costello, D.P. (1961) On the orientation of centrioles in dividing
cells and its significance..Biol Bull.120: 285-312.

Wheatley, D.N. (1982) The Centriole. Elsevier Press

Glover, et al. The Centrosome. Sci. Amer.June 1993 p.62-68.

I'm sure much remains to be learned about how and why centrioles
replicate with an orthogonal (I-) orientation, so it is a good
question.

-Dennis

-
Dr. M. Dennis Goode                 Phone (301) 405-6917
Department of Zoology               Fax   (301) 314-9358
University of Maryland              e-mail goode at zool.umd.edu
College Park MD 20742